• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

24" vs 30" vs 42" vs 54" cutter, help

nomadme

Hey guys!

I'm looking to buy Graphtec FC86000.

My main purpose for the cutter is to cut decals, and window signs for doors and etc. I don't have any plan to do big billboard size of signs. It will be used with HP Latex 315 in the future.

I feel like 24" is too small, and 54" is too big for cutter.

Which option would be more economical in the long run?

Please, I need some of your inputs.

AKwrapguy

Hey guys!

I'm looking to buy Graphtec FC86000.

My main purpose for the cutter is to cut decals, and window signs for doors and etc. I don't have any plan to do big billboard size of signs. It will be used with HP Latex 315 in the future.

I feel like 24" is too small, and 54" is too big for cutter.

Which option would be more economical in the long run?

Please, I need some of your inputs.

Whats the max size of material for your printer? That's what size plotter you should get.

strypguy

Never say never. You are always going to wish you bought a larger cutter. Go with at least a 54in if it's in the budget. Check to see if anyone has good used or demo equipment if you can't justify new. You'll need it if you want to maximize your print cut options with the HP 315.John

equippaint

You can always run 24" material through a 54" plotter but you cant do the reverse. I wouldn't get a smaller plotter than your printer, at some point you will kick yourself for doing that. If you do though, Id vote 30" because that size material is common.

nomadme

Thanks guys!

Yeah, 54" price is little bit steep right now, since I'm planning to get HP Latex 315.

ewded: So you don't use your 42" much? Why is that?

Thanks guys!

Yeah, 54" price is little bit steep right now, since I'm planning to get HP Latex 315.

ewded: So you don't use your 42" much? Why is that?

I do mainly car and laptop decals/stickers and use the 42" cutter only when the 24" is too small, but honestly I never had to cut anything bigger that 42". Remember 42" is the short side so you can do frosted window decal easily with 42".

On the other hand I prefer to cut long things (with straight lines) on my keencut ARC TE manually as a cutter plotter is not very accurate, it has an error of 0.1" on a 120" long travel.

papabud

Lone Wolf
papabud How often and what type of 54" prints do you cut?
my vehicle graphics that get printed are on 3m 180-10 controltec that i order in 54" rolls. i print it on my hp 360 latex
then i use 48" reflective which i will sometimes cut
my straight colored vinyl is almost always 30 or 48 inch

equippaint

We cut printed 54" quite a bit. 30" is easier by yourself but sometimes a layout just fits better onto a wider material. We could get by with 30" only but it wastes a lot of material if you have a pair of things 15"+ tall. We do a lot of cranes so on the booms the names can be 12' or longer. Between wasted time & material it stinks to run an extra 12' for something 20" tall when you could gang it together.
It really all depends on what you do and what you foresee yourself doing down the road. It may seem like a bunch of money now but in a year from now it wont. I have never regretted paying too much for a good tool but I have regretted skimping and not buying enough.