• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

24in channel letters

Jbh25

Got a company that wants me to install some 24in channel letters for them it's a total of 9 feet and going on there building. How many hours should it take to do the install. I have never installed channel letters but wanting to get into doing them just trying to price the job. Thanks

idsignsil

Depends on a lot of things:

access, wiring, fascia type, etc.

9ft of 2ft channel letters is what, like 4 letters?

also are they LED's or Neon?

LED's - are they self contained?
If so - Qty: 1 - 3/8" hole through wall per letter

Neon - Take Faces Off - Take Neon Out - Qty: 2 - 1 5/8" holes through wall per letter - Neon Back In Faces Back on

This is all assuming they are individual letters and not on a raceway.

What is the wall made of? Dryvit over wood.....or is there a chance of steal beams?

Plus you will have to get behind the wall to do all of the wiring. There are a bunch of variables to doing a channel letter install.

Jbh25

Building is pre wired for the letters and the are neon don't no what the building is yet they were just wanting a rough estimate it's for boost mobile. I have done electrical work for years so that part is no problem but just getting into the sign shop deal, my wife has worked at one for years and is great with wraps and vinyl but I'm wanting to expand into doing bigger stuff

MrSigns

We almost refuse all neon in channel letters or neon service all together. You are assuming big liability. If they ever have a fire and neon is mentioned you will be suspect. It is surprising that neon is still a choice, as LED's are so affordable. Unless you have exposed neon projects. This is new to you so a few bits of wisdom to offer. Check your insurance, be sure you are covered properly. We have to break out our labor for service/install. Also experienced electricians in my part of the country are lacking in knowledge about "series" wiring for neon. So many things "not to do" in neon wiring because of the high voltage. Do your homework on the wiring. You will have a big learning curve(time invested). Service/Install and larger projects are very lucrative for our sign shop. I would figure a full days labor(2 people) plus another 25-50%. Best of luck.