• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2'x17' vinyl install

Johnny Best

I am installing a 24"x17' vinyl 3551RA with laminate piece over a storefront on a existing metal panel.
Doing this by myself and will use a ladder since it is about 8' up.
My question is, should I tape this all up in place and start on one end by pulling back about 2 feet of backing and squeegeeing that down and work my way across the 17'. Or cut about a foot strip off back and tape up in place and work from the center to one side and then come back and do other side.
Just trying to get some tips so I do not mess up the graphic.

ams

I wouldn't do it without a second person either holding the vinyl or squeegeeing it. If you do the unroll method, you should run a tape line and as you work it, follow perfectly along that line so you will know if you are off or not.

Billct2

I'd start in the middle. Roll up the graphic from either end to the middle so you have two rolls. Tape center hinge and tape the roll of the side you aren't doing first in place. Cut the backer and start working out, unrolling the vinyl and backer as you go. It's not easy and you have to deal with the backer as you go, three hands helps.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Either method is fine. Just depends on which you are more comfortable with. I would transfer tape it. If you are in the sun this will help maintain stability while you install and also helps keep it from skewing or stretching

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like the center hinge method, myself. I'd probably opt out to take a second ladder and use a walk plank. Our large plank would get you from end to end without ever having to move any ladders, til you're finished.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a ladder rack on my truck and use it to walk across the extension ladders up there. I just get self conscious about how it looks walking on top of my truck.

ikarasu

This is where magnets shine.

It's easy to set up with magnets while constantly moving the ladder. 2-3 magnets can hold the whole roll up while you.move the ladder and reposition.

Once it's setup... I'd put a strip of tape every ft. Cut the strip off at the top of the vinyl, but leave it on the graphics and the wall. Roll up the vinyl, then use the tape strips as alignment marks to make sure you're going straight.

Much easier with two people, but doable with one .

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This is where magnets shine.

It's easy to set up with magnets while constantly moving the ladder. 2-3 magnets can hold the whole roll up while you.move the ladder and reposition.

Once it's setup... I'd put a strip of tape every ft. Cut the strip off at the top of the vinyl, but leave it on the graphics and the wall. Roll up the vinyl, then use the tape strips as alignment marks to make sure you're going straight.

Much easier with two people, but doable with one .

I find that most substrates are aluminum... magnets don't work on that do they?

CanuckSigns

Is there a frame around where the graphic is going? If so I would do a centre hinge method, and peel the backer completely off one side and tack it to the frame so it sits slightly above the surface it's.going to be stuck to, apply it, then come back after its stuck down in place and deal with the edges, then trim. Kind of like applying a wrap to the side of a car.

ams

Is there a frame around where the graphic is going? If so I would do a centre hinge method, and peel the backer completely off one side and tack it to the frame so it sits slightly above the surface it's.going to be stuck to, apply it, then come back after its stuck down in place and deal with the edges, then trim. Kind of like applying a wrap to the side of a car.

The slightest bit of wind will make it touch and give you problems. If it's in the sunlight it'll stretch.

ikarasu

I find that most substrates are aluminum... magnets don't work on that do they?
Depends, if it's aluminum than it won't stick.

A lot of buildings are made out of steel though - or have steel frames / other parts where a magnet will stick .I just did 30 or so 3'x3' windows with wet install graphics... I got lucky and magnets worked on the frames, made it super easy.

There's also gecko Patches for stuff that isn't . I haven't tried them yet, but they look promising.. I may pick some up, I find magnets much easier than tape. Not sure if the geckopatch would kill all the benefits of magnets though.

Bly

If I was doing it alone I'd probably slit a strip 3" wide out of the middle of the liner to hold it in place, tape the rest.
Then you can roll the liner back as you go from the centre out.
Gino's plank method is a good idea.

Last edited:

Kottwitz-Graphics

I understand wanting to do it in one piece, but are there seams in the metal? I would cut the vinyl down to hit those seams....

If there aren't, get a second person (Or a third)...

I did a 24" x 30' panel on a couple of tanker trucks... I did the first one wet, and then the second one was cut in half, and then installed....

Cynosure

I am installing a 24"x17' vinyl 3551RA with laminate piece over a storefront on a existing metal panel.
My question is, should I tape this all up in place and start on one end by pulling back about 2 feet of backing and squeegeeing that down and work my way across the 17'. Or cut about a foot strip off back and tape up in place and work from the center to one side and then come back and do other side.
Center hinge...pray for little wind and some shade and you will be fine. Its only 2', so if you can split the paper and pull back small amounts at a time as you apply it will make it easier. Nerve wrecking, but doable.

AKwrapguy

So the 3551RA is air release correct that what the RA stands for? You should be fine if you middle hinge it. If you can use two ladders and plank you can to it by yourself easier but if you had the option of a second person to help you out for few minutes that would be best. Also look to see if there are any seams in the metal where you could break up the graphic.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Easily a one-person job.

Cut a slit down the backer at the center, tightly tape the entire piece of vinyl in place, untape half of it and roll it up to the center where you made your slit, peel back the backer and squeegee as you go. Repeat on the other end.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Take the panel off the wall, back to the shop.
Run through laminator/press roller.

Bingo. 1 man job.

SIGNTIME

Personally I find it easier to tack the one side then run your squeegee in the middle from center out then up from the first stroke all the way out then down, then the other side. You'll get perfect alignment and it's much quicker. Now this only works with RA and you will need a plank for sure or a 2nd person. Also want to tape it if outside, I really like digimask as long as its full vinyl.