• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 3 HP Designjet L26500 - Need help getting them to all run on 1 Mac

Blurple

As of right now we are running a Late 2012 Mac Mini OS X version 10.9.5 With a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, and an Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB.

For the past 3-4 years we haven't been able to run more than 2 of the HP Designjets at one time without it shutting all of them off. "Lack Of Rip Data" and many other errors, we eventually just gave up on it.
As of today I got the okay from the boss to find a better/more updated Mac for our shop.
Also every single time we updated the Mac Mini, the ripping software wouldn't work, so we would have to downgrade back.

I would love it if anyone could recommend me a Mac that would be able to run all 3 HP's along with Caldera.
Or even a solution to have this fixed, anything to get them all working smoothly.

Thank you,
Frank

dypinc

Are you dedicating the Mac Mini to Caldera only? Have you called Caldera support when upgrading to a more powerful Mac?

Have you checked that there may be external network problem and not necessarily your Mac Mini? Are your printers setup for a static IP address and is that address set to be reserved in the router for that IP/MAC Address combination so that nothing can interfere with transferring data? Are all cables good and connecting using 1000baseT.

What about considering running Caldera on Linux. You could configure a pretty powerful box that way.

spooledUP7

The biggest question I have is what version of Caldera do you have? It appears as though this may be a limiting factor for you in regards to performance and the hardware OS you run. Only Caldera V11.2 180309 supports the High Sierra. Check here for a full list of versions to OS compatibility. Based on the age of the Max Mini my assumption is that you are on a version 9.xx which isn't supported past Yosemite. There is a patch available on their site so be sure to check if it's applicable to you. There are some system stability and feature enhancements within this patch.

Second, it looks as though your hardware is well within range of all versions of Caldera, but if you running an older version of Caldera then you may not be utilizing all that hardware to its fullest. Here is a quote from their V10 promo.

The inclusion of APPE 3.3 marries this upgrade with the benefits of 64bit data handling. Users can now RIP massive files which, previously, were limited by a lack of onboard memory, leveraging their processor’s full active memory to provide additional efficiencies across the full job queue. Files with transparency and overprinting benefit particularly by processing consistently three times faster than previously in live production environments, although this increases to a blistering 50 times for some files.

As far as I can understand from the above snippet, 64 bit processing wasn't a thing for Caldera until V10. This is a huge deal, especially for simultaneous rip threads. It seems to me that your biggest gains may be from upgrading to the latest version of Caldera. That said, I do find it hard to believe that you can't get at least two printers going at the same time, and there may be some underlying issues within your setup/systems.

Like Dypinc said, you must be using a Gig switch and Gig network adapter as well as good cables. If you are using the built in WiFi of the Mac Mini then there's your problem. For sure you should have reserved addresses for the printers, or at the minimum have static addresses configured on each printer somewhere way out in the boonies of your available addresses. Like 192.168.1.201(....202...203). Just be sure that you aren't stepping on the toes of any other device given a static address such as a file server, NAS, or network office printer. If you don't know what this all means then do yourself a favor and ask your IT guy. Better yet, just ask your IT guy (or gal)

I don't know Caldera, so I cannot attest this setting feature, but if there is a RIP setting enabled called "Print while ripping" turn that off. Ripping is processor and hard-drive intense and you will be asking the computer to do too much while sending fat chunks of data to multiple printers.

Upgrade your Temp folder drive to an SSD if you can. The SSD will free up the bottleneck of a slow mechanical drive while writing those massive rip files. At the minimum I would move the temp folder to a separate internal physical drive (not virtual) to free up the read/write throughput of a single drive.

Make sure you have plenty of storage. I would make sure I had at least 100gigs of (preferably SSD) available for the temp files.

Make sure the printers are set to 280 seconds for their timeout settings under RIP TCIP menu.

Ultimately I think if you are looking for a solid system to run three or more printers that you step up and get the latest rip software, Mac OS, and possibly a personal air conditioner for that poor little Mac Mini. (If you have the Mini in the same room as those HPs then you are punishing the poor thing)

Blurple

Yes, the Mac Mini's use is only for Caldera. We did contact the support but they were unable to figure out our problem. We even had HP tech's come in and check them out, no one could figure out the problem.

We had HP technicians come in and set everything up at the time and they said everything should work smoothly. We've switched out all of the cables several times to brand new ones and still had problems. All of the printers are set up for static IP address's as well as them being set to be reserved .

Honestly I never considered it, only because I have no experience what so ever with the OS.

tinkerprinter

Are you sure you're not having some kind of electrical "overload" when using all 3 plotters at the same time?

Because you said: "For the past 3-4 years we haven't been able to run more than 2 of the HP Designjets at one time without it shutting all of them off." And the other errors coming up on your separate Caldera computer could be just meaning because the printers shut-off that it was unable to read any more Data from them etc. Perhaps you need to give more concise detailed step by step of what leads to plotters shutting down to see if:
They/printers are shutting "themselves" down without external prompting, or if some other remote software(caldera etc) is forcing/telling them to shutdown, or if its an electrical power issue or something getting overloaded etc.

Debian Linux is very easy to use, and I see that Caldera supports it nicely. You will find a PC is much CHEAPER than an Apple/Mac giving you more power for less bucks$. I've been using Linux since the mid '90s and I can tell you its a million times easier to use now, similar to a MAC etc.