Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Nights work..now File Format Not Supported!

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by Phil Swanson, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Phil Swanson

Phil Swanson Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Adirondacks
    I've been working on layouts for a job with a Fri. deadline. When I tried to open the file today it fold me that the file format was not supported!:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:
    Is there any way to get this file back? I'm using Flexi 7.7 and it is a Flexi file.
    I did import a couple of logo's yesterday also.
    THANKS for any help

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    Tags:
  2. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    do you have any autobackups of the file? I have had success using Time Machine on a Mac. I am not sure if there is an equivalent program on Windows.

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Well, for openers, you might want to give us a clue as to the software you're using and the file format in question.

4. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I think it was Flexi.

5. Phil Swanson

Phil Swanson Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Adirondacks
    Sorry 'bout that, I edited the post to include that I'm using Flexi 7.7 and it was a Flexi file.

6. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I've also been having trouble opening files...namely the bottom drawer on the right.

I have a strong suspicion that when I do get it open, I'll get a "page not found" error.

Dang.

JB

Attached Files:

7. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Have you tried opening a new blank document and then importing your original file into it?
    Has worked once or twice for me.
    If you can't get it to open and it is not to big I could try to open it here if you like.
    I have 7.6 & 8.6 running here.

wayne k
    guam usa

8. Phil Swanson

Phil Swanson Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Adirondacks
    Yes I did try to import it to a new file..no luck. My work computer is not on line and it is a pretty big file (lots of logo's) so I don't think I can send it. Thanks for the offer though.

9. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Flexi is not my favorite program on my computer but it does make me money while it is doing its best to make me angry.
    No other fixes for the file that I know of.

If you run out of options I can help you get the file to me by ftp or a file sharing host. Could be a further waste of time but worth a try before rebuilding the whole file.
    Might be time to think about designing outside of flexi and saving in a more universal eps/pdf format.
    I know for a fact that the rise in blood pressure/temperature of the Flexi user base is contributing to global warming.

wayne k
    guam usa

10. JMDigital

JMDigital Active Member

Oct 15, 2005

If you want to send the file to someone put it on a mem card or cd then
    use http://www.largefilesasap.com
    they will let you send large files for free to anyone. That way loading your file
    into a different flexi computer may help

I would do it but I am only on Flexi 7.5 .

Good Luck

11. Phil Swanson

Phil Swanson Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Adirondacks
    THANKS for the offers! But its been a long day, I've had it. I've already started to get the file done over, It always go's quicker the second time... I can still get it done by the dead line its just a PIA.
    This is the second time this has happened and was interested to see if anyone has found a way around it.
    I think it had something to do with importing a file that was not compatible with flexi, and now that it's in there it won't read it.
    Thanks again... my head hurts, Im go'in to have a nightcap and bed.

12. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Yahoo has a file transfer service and its free too. Its bundled with their instant messenger service.

13. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I know this is going to sound ridiculous and impossible but change the file name and try to reopen it. It only works about 1 time in 10 but sometimes it happens.

I don't know why Flexi will do that. It's been doing it since version 3. It only happens to us about twice a year so it's reliable about 99.9% of the time....it just seems like those times it fails it's on a large, complex job.

14. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    So Pat what name works on the rename?

"IreallyamaFlexiFileOpenMeNowYouPOSoritstheRecycleBinforYou.fs"

maybe?

15. Phil Swanson

Phil Swanson Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Adirondacks
    Now thats FUNNY!!:ROFLMAO: Well at least I got one laugh out of this.

16. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    files are not readable Flexi has been my program since 99 and for some reason ALL OF 08 files are this way, ALL OF THEM! Those files were done in flexi 7.6 and now I have 10 I went in when I first got it and it still would open them

Always amazed me how a program can not only create files but also corrupt them

17. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN

I have had that happen in Ai CS5 before their last update on that program. It would create files and then when I would go in to work on them, they were corrupted. Since the update, no problem. Go figure.