• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 1080 for total cover-up

Patentagosse

A good customer of mine had this distressed trailer to revamp. I did it 10 years ago but last year someone washed it with very aggressive cleaner and ruined the job. Anyway, he had decided to "divorce" with Suzuki so the occasion was perfect to take it out of the picture... So the owner asked me to remove the old wrap and do something simple, clean. I decided I wouldn't ripped my heart out trying to get rid of this "baked" graphic so I opted for a total cover-up.
The 1080-G10 was the perfect film for this job but also the only option. 3M is the only brand with tinted adhesive to turn white into opaque one, all other brands have clear adhesive so everything bleed throught. 3M should really shout it out loud into their marketing for the 1080 !!!
I easily covered-up the whole box first and then I've printed graphics / cut letters separately so the day the guy will want to sell it, it can be turned back to virgin state w/o breaking a sweat.

Attachments

• P1010002 (Small).JPG
    P1010002 (Small).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 243
  • P1010004 (Small).JPG
    P1010004 (Small).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 207
  • P1010005 (Small).JPG
    P1010005 (Small).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 218
  • P1010011 (Small).JPG
    P1010011 (Small).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 198
  • P1010013 (Small).JPG
    P1010013 (Small).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 185

Patentagosse

Here's the trailer outside with new graphics. Sure the old one had more impact but client's request was simple & clean so I listened...

:Canada 2:

Attachments

• P1010014 (Small).JPG
    P1010014 (Small).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 190
  • P1010015 (Small).JPG
    P1010015 (Small).JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 197

mudmedia

Nice job...BUT your saying the old wrap is still on the trailer? Im not saying anything is right or wrong its whichever you and the customer choose but wouldnt the right thing to do is peel the old one off first and just letter the trailer? Now potential buyers wont see the aluminum surface condition of the trailer? Did you try a section of the trailer to see how bad it really would have been? By the pictures looks like it woulda been pretty bad but just curious what it would have took to get it off.

Patentagosse

I didn't have the time and didn't wanna get my fingers to the blood trying it. I work alone here and there's no money to get me remove old baked vinyl...

visual800

I think it looks great, nice and clean as far as the old graphic being on it, it's been on for 10 years I don't think it's going anywhere. I would have done the same thing.

wildside

if the wrap underneath fails, it all fails..... should have educated the client properly and done the job properly

also, 3m is not the "only" opaque vinyl, oracal covers just as well

2B

As long as the client was made aware of what you were doing, I don't see a problem.

+1

we had a trailer come in the other day that was loaded is OLD cut vinyl,
explained what the problem is with removing cut and having ghosting left and then the extra $$$ from the removal,

they approved the cover job and we were able to match the printed vinyl so it did not look like a "sticker/patch" job.

Is the mini-van that is hooked up to the trailer yours or the customers?
If the customer that is hilarious that they own a car dealership and pull the trailer with a mini-van

anotherdog

+1

we had a trailer come in the other day that was loaded is OLD cut vinyl,
explained what the problem is with removing cut and having ghosting left and then the extra $$$ from the removal,

they approved the cover job and we were able to match the printed vinyl so it did not look like a "sticker/patch" job.

how can you cover cut vinyl? Wouldn't the edges of the vinyl show through?

klemgraphics

It sure does, but depending on what you are covering with it may not be too noticable. I won't name any names but I have seen some recent work by another member here that covered trailers that had cut vinyl with a printed wrap....looks good from a distance but when you get up close you can see everything that was there before. Tenting on the rivets before...looks even worse now. I bet they won't last as long as the company getting them done it expecting, but I know the company well enough to know that they went for the cheapest of the cheap options and they definitely got what they paid for.

I think of it the same way as painting...whats on top is only as good as what is underneath.

The pics the OP posted look good and the labor that would have been spent on removal, it may have been cheaper to trade that thing in on a new one and start fresh.

HulkSmash

Couple of mistakes.
1. Wrapped over the old vinyl? Worse idea.. if your old bottom level fails.. your new level fails.

2. You're putting the panels on backwards. Now the wind can easily get under them, and left them since they're going the direction of which you drive....

overall for what it is, nice job.

2B

Yes it can and does, the design that was used was dark background which helped and this trailer is used for highways only, not show room inspection.

all of this was explained to the customer, even placed a scrap piece on to give a visual aide. they were fine with it and this route fit int eh budget.

Border

Couple of mistakes.

2. You're putting the panels on backwards. Now the wind can easily get under them, and left them since they're going the direction of which you drive....

I think you were looking at the photo wrong. He started at the rear of the trailer with the first panel, which is the correct way to overlap.

johnnysigns

Ahh who cares about overlapping it properly nowadays anyway.

1. It's over an old wrap anyway - it's like wiping your arse after you've pulled your pants up
2. Post heating the seams well has always worked for me when I don't orient them the right direction. I'm no wrap mill like some of you gents, but I definitely hang enough wraps to have heard about failures "I should be having" by having one backwards seam on my last panel.

mudmedia

1. It's over an old wrap anyway - it's like wiping your arse after you've pulled your pants up
2. Post heating the seams well has always worked for me when I don't orient them the right direction. I'm no wrap mill like some of you gents, but I definitely hang enough wraps to have heard about failures "I should be having" by having one backwards seam on my last panel.

So thats a reason to not do an install correctly is because its over an old wrap anyway? It will only take 1 failure that cost you thousands to delete your post of overlapping incorrectly.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What is the brand of that work platform you are using in the photo?
Looks neat.

wayne k
guam usa

HulkSmash

I think you were looking at the photo wrong. He started at the rear of the trailer with the first panel, which is the correct way to overlap.

oops, i thought that was the front, you're right

^ Ignorant.

johnnysigns

So thats a reason to not do an install correctly is because its over an old wrap anyway? It will only take 1 failure that cost you thousands to delete your post of overlapping incorrectly.

Nope, I'm saying what's done is done. I wouldn't have wrapped over an old wrap to begin with, that's a bigger no-no to me than having a backwards seem.