• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 1170C? Where is it? What is going on? Waiting over 2 weeks for order?

We ordered Cold Clear Lam (3M 1170C 48" ) over 2 weeks ago and there is no update as to when it is coming. Does anybody know what happened or what is going on?

MikePro

4-7day availability listed on website, so it was most likely a drop-ship from 3M.
p.s. $1k for overlam?!? I'd use this stuff if I absolutely needed the clear liner, but 3M 8518/8519 is nearly the exact same thing but with a paper backing....and at half the price.

4-7day availability listed on website, so it was most likely a drop-ship from 3M.
p.s. $1k for overlam?!? I'd use this stuff if I absolutely needed the clear liner, but 3M 8518/8519 is nearly the exact same thing but with a paper backing....and at half the price.
We need it for High Intensity Prismatic Traffic Signs. I do not think that would work.

MikePro

it was my understanding that reflectability and pms color were the requirements, for which the reflective material and printer meet.... but I don't see anywhere that another optically-clear cast overlaminate wouldn't satisfy minimum retroreflectability requirements. 8914 would have been the proper alternative recommendation, as would oraguard 290F, but you would be correct in potential rejection of 8918/19, as they are not optically-clear.

regardless, i'm derailing the OP. as per the delayed statuses of overlaminate being drop shipped from manufacturers, the only response I've gotten with delays for my various brands is that the pandemic ramped up acrylic manufacturing and other plastics took a backseat/fell-behind.

Last edited:

ikarasu

In order for it to be Regulation, it needs to be compatible products. Ie- you can't just use any overlam or even use avery traffic overlam with 3m vinyl.

Grimco must have huge markup for you guys..... We post under a buck a sqft here. That's like 80 cents non monopoly money.

I see like 30 rolls in stock on 3m canada site, so there doesn't Appear to be stock issues.

MikePro

yeah, $1.50 psf base price from Gco. I'm sure they have wiggle room for a client to haggle, esp if that's a regular order item, but today if I were to buy it its 920/roll.

still, there's a difference between can't, won't, and very much possible. I don't see any verbiage in MUTCD that negates your ability to mix&match, but it has to meet color, retroreflective, and longevity criteria or you're on the hook for replacement. BUT, I'm not here to tell ya what to do or fight with manufacturers over their verbiages that try to make everything so damn proprietary... I'm just a sucker for a solution in a pinch.

Last edited:

ikarasu

It's a little different when it comes to regulated traffic signage. Governments are very picky and if they find out you've been cheating, you are no longer allowed to produce Signage for them, so saving out on a few dollars isn't worth it. Not to mention if you do not meet the very specific specs and requirements Such as using the proper material. All it takes is for one person to run a stop sign and he can claim it was not up to code and Sue the company.

In order to be traffic regulated here. We get audited every single year by 3M. We've been doing it for 30 years, but still they come and watch exactly how we do every single thing For a whole day.

So yes, you can cheat And save a few bucks. But it's not like you can regularly do that without them noticing. And the risk isn't really worth the reward of saving a few cents a square foot.

It always surprises me to hear how Grimco is in America. Over here the prices are set and you can't really hagle You may be able to get a one time cheaper price if it's for a project you have slim margins on. But generally everyone pays the same thing. We spent over 150,000 this year at Grimco And my home account has the same pricing. As our work account that's been in business with them for 30 years. We don't do the whole **** up to the Rep to get better pricing game.

MikePro

my argument revolves around fullfilling requirements, retroreflectability being the main one. still using same series reflective that's been tested & approved for MUTCD, just a different series optically-clear overlam, so I don't see how this would affect anything....hardly "cheating", and wasn't trying to suggest it to save a buck, but rather to have options to complete in a timely manner.

but then again, I've also now gone and derailed the entire thread over it :) my bad

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have experienced unprecedented wait times on 3M rolls the past few months. We had a one month delay on a product last month. Crazy times, but as long as we keep the customers informed they've always been ok with it. If it is the new norm, I don't like it.

ikarasu

You can do any color almost with the 360. red/green/blue/ even yellow on white and it's traffic compliant.. So long as you use flexi traffic.

Printing on orange/yellow... That's where you're restricted to black only.

Avery, oracal and nikkalite meet traffic specs as well, so as long as your county doesn't spec 3m in their bid ( alot don't, just the type of reflectivity) they're OK using nikkalite which is almost 40% cheaper than nikkalite... And traffic certified on seikos.

Being a 3m distributor is getting harder due to all their strict rules and price compared to competitors.

And yes... A 560 uses the same ink and technology as a 360 pretty much, but you can't use it to print traffic signs. They're so strict about it that we were told if we were caught using our 560 for MOT certified produ ts even though we color matched it and it looks and prints exactly the same as our 360.... We could / would likely lose access to our 3M portal and lose our approved fabricator status.

So it may seem like I'm being overly anal about using non 1170 overlam... But 3M takes it seriously.I know using 8518 likely won't make a difference, but if 3M says to use 1170... We use 1170. If 3m insists we use a shitty old printer when our 560 prints better and faster.... We grind our teeth and do it. We've used 8518 on HIP a lot and we've never had an issue... But that's for real estate agents or parking signs. Nothing regulated.

ikarasu

It does not work when you need to pass inspection and reflectivity.

I don't think a lot of people realize traffic is a whole different ball game when it comes to printing, especially digital printing.... Which if you're not doing it all the time, I can see why.

Hopefully the people that do do it, don't end substituting and making stuff work in a pinch