• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m 220 Vinyl And Wet Application

gabagoo

I am very experienced at applying vinyl and had a truck this weekend that had about a 22" x 8' graphic in 1 colour to apply to a Savanah. I had to work alone and had no help so I decided that for the main graphic being that large that I would use Rapid Tac to do the application.

I squeegeed it well and allowed it to sit for a few minutes, then started removing the pre mask. I found that it looked fine and proiceeded to do the other side. After about an hour I go back to the original side and I can see in the lighted reflection that small water pockets have appeared in many spots of the vinyl and most of them appeared to be very close to the edges. They were not there wehn I removed the premask, and I have seen this before. I also remembered that as upset as i was the last time, after sitting for 24 hours they all disapeared.

I came in this morning and they are all still there. I know once the vehicle is out in the sun they will vanish over a short time, but just can't figure out how they get there when they were not there after removing the masking.

any ideas of what causes this?

AKwrapguy

Could it be that there is a small amount of liquid trapped between the edge of the vinyl and the premask? When you removed the premask it created a vacuum that could have sucked the liquid in? No idea if this is what happened to you, but I've seen this happen when doing windows with frosted. I found that wetting the premask before it's removed will help with this problem.