• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m 40c what lam

klingsdesigns

Been using 210 lam for 3m40c. I read bad things about the 8508 or whatever it recommends. What are people using? Should i just use 8518 for it or is that over kill? Then i wouldnt have to keep switching out rolls for laminating between 180mc and 40c.

Starter

I have heard the bad press about the 8508 overlam but have never experienced it ourselves. I still use the 8508 and Oracal 210 or 215 when I run out of 8508. Fingers crossed we have had no issues.
As for the 8518, I think it is over kill but you would have to do a cost comparison between the laminates.

klingsdesigns

I have heard the bad press about the 8508 overlam but have never experienced it ourselves. I still use the 8508 and Oracal 210 or 215 when I run out of 8508. Fingers crossed we have had no issues.
As for the 8518, I think it is over kill but you would have to do a cost comparison between the laminates.

Its about double the cost per roll from 210 to 8518.

Starter

Wow! 50k.. I would never use another 3M product if that happened to me. Did 3M "go good" or help you out in anyway?

Starter

Getting back to topic......at double the price for laminates I would definitely only use the 8518 for the IJ180 only, and save the 210/215 for regular old digital prints.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You know, it's one thing for a manufacturer to suggest that you might have installed a decal improperly, but the laminate? That's laughable. Do they think you dripped fried chicken grease all over the print before laminating or what? That's a shame. Sorry for your losses.
Final consensus on their end is that its due to us using a Latex Printer. I will take pics of my roll of 8512 that has sat in my warehouse untouched in a box for 7 months, it separated from its own adhesive and shrunk about 2"

Christian @ 2CT Media

Back on topic. I can wholeheartedly recommend 8048 as of right now, we have used 11 rolls so far and it has been great. We are paying roughly $0.32/sq for it

ProColorGraphics

I am really liking the media and lam from Substance Media! Cheaper and WAY better than 3M!! I too had a lot of shrinkage issues with 3M calendared.

Johnny Best

I use the Substance material also, vinyl and lam, and have been very happy with it and the price.
I do use the 3M 8519 luster for years and that is great cast overlaminate.

juan.runnells

Production Manager Wide Format
Final consensus on their end is that its due to us using a Latex Printer. I will take pics of my roll of 8512 that has sat in my warehouse untouched in a box for 7 months, it separated from its own adhesive and shrunk about 2"
I would concur on the latex ink being the issue.

I've been experiencing delam issues with latex a lot recently.

It's not specific to one manufacturer. Aside perhaps from (the larger latex printer manufacturer(s) ) as I'm coming to the realization that it's most likely the inks, not the media or laminates.

It's happening across the board regardless of cast or calendared laminate.

Some reps are honest others not so much. (I feel that certain printer manufacturer(s) ) needs to be working more closely with end users, and formulating better with their business partners/stakeholders the large media manufacturers. I'm ready to pull my hair out at the roots.

(Disclaimer: this is an opinion based on my personal observations, and in no way do I intend to defam or libel said parties)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Christian @ 2CT Media

I would concur on the latex ink being the issue.

I've been experiencing delam issues with latex a lot recently.

It's not specific to one manufacturer. Aside perhaps from (the larger latex printer manufacturer(s) ) as I'm coming to the realization that it's most likely the inks, not the media or laminates.

It's happening across the board regardless of cast or calendared laminate.

Some reps are honest others not so much. (I feel that certain printer manufacturer(s) ) needs to be working more closely with end users, and formulating better with their business partners/stakeholders the large media manufacturers. I'm ready to pull my hair out at the roots.

(Disclaimer: this is an opinion based on my personal observations, and in no way do I intend to defam or libel said parties)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I would not say it's latex, seeing as I've never had this issue with anything else ever since 2010 when our L25500 arrived. And I also have a full roll of 8512 that is delaminating from its own adhesive untouched in a full box. This is a failure of their prime coat not simple delaminating. The film layer is separating from its own adhesive.