• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 8508 cast laminate...opinions???

FatCat

Typically, we've been using 8518 on most of our long-term outdoor prints. However, wondering if we can get by with something a little less pricey on flat prints mounted to poly-metal, MDO, etc. or decals applied to flat surfaces. Was looking at the 8508 but it only rates for 3 yrs. on a cast laminate? Funny they pair that with IJ-40 which is rated as a 7 yr. cal vinyl.

Looking for real world feedback on those who have used it and how is it holding up outdoors on flat signs, decals, etc?

Thanks!

Letterbox Mike

8508 is calendered, not cast. I just looked in the Grimco catalog and they list it as cast, but it's not. And it sucks.

3M IJ35C is our go-to intermediate film, we've been using it for years and it's really good, but 3M's intermediate laminates are not up to par. We always use Oracal 210 gloss laminate on it and have never had a problem. We've got a lot of signs and graphics out there in IJ35/210 that are going strong after 3-4 years, just don't expect or promise the same durability as a cast/cast combination and you'll be fine.

Wiggum PI

they seem to focus on print on clears instead of overlaminates in anything under cast from what i've seen, get a different brand calendered lam and you should be fine.

FatCat

Hmm, OK -weird. Everyone lists this as a cast laminate Grimco, Fellers, even on 3M's site;

"Scotchcal overlaminate 8508 is an excellent option for those looking for an intermediate cast product at a calendared price," explains Adam Larson, business development supervisor for 3M Commercial Graphics...

*But yes, 210 is a great laminate and I too have had long lasting results using it. Just wondered if there was an "in-between" grade that I wasn't aware of...

Thanks!