• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Di-Noc for marine applications

cwade440

Customer called today and asked me to wrap their transom with mahogany Di-noc. Anyone use this stuff in a marine environment? The tech specs I was able to read from 3M made this sound like an interior only product. TIA.

Johnny Best

I think BigFish has wood look vinyl, do not know the specs on it though.
You could print out mahogany looking vinyl cast with cast laminate from your printer if you have one.

Chasez

The majority of Di-Noc are interior applications only but there are a few rated for exterior use. I would check with your local distributor, as well there aren't too many exterior finishes.

Chaz

cwade440

I think BigFish has wood look vinyl, do not know the specs on it though.
You could print out mahogany looking vinyl cast with cast laminate from your printer if you have one.
I do print wood grain + lam all the time, but this customer is stuck on Di-noc.

cwade440

The majority of Di-Noc are interior applications only but there are a few rated for exterior use. I would check with your local distributor, as well there aren't too many exterior finishes.

Chaz
I'll do that tomorrow...

While most of the products are only rated for indoor use, many of them are used outdoor in Japan and other parts of Asia. They have been using the product much more than we have here in the states. I’m a dinoc certified installer, and we talked about this at our class at 3M. While they don’t warranty it for outdoors, most of them hold up well. You could always shoot some automotive clear on top of it, or get it ceramic coated to really add some longevity to it.

ikarasu

3m just released some outdoor dinoc. You lose some of the texture, and it's not available in as many patterns, but it's rated for outdoor.

I'd email your local 3m rep and ask about it. A lot of people don't take advantage of their reps... But they're there to answer any question you might have . We ask ours the stupidest stuff and he's more than happy to get answers for us.

I don't know about marine application though... I'd tell the customer if he insists on dinoc, I'd do it but he assumes all responsibility for it.

cwade440

While most of the products are only rated for indoor use, many of them are used outdoor in Japan and other parts of Asia. They have been using the product much more than we have here in the states. I’m a dinoc certified installer, and we talked about this at our class at 3M. While they don’t warranty it for outdoors, most of them hold up well. You could always shoot some automotive clear on top of it, or get it ceramic coated to really add some longevity to it.
Good to know!

cwade440

3m just released some outdoor dinoc. You lose some of the texture, and it's not available in as many patterns, but it's rated for outdoor.

I'd email your local 3m rep and ask about it. A lot of people don't take advantage of their reps... But they're there to answer any question you might have . We ask ours the stupidest stuff and he's more than happy to get answers for us.

I don't know about marine application though... I'd tell the customer if he insists on dinoc, I'd do it but he assumes all responsibility for it.
Agreed!

unclebun

Di-Noc E-Series are for exterior architectural use. 3M DI-NOC E-Series Finishes for Design & Construction | 3M United States

Originally, Di-Noc was produced for automotive use--replacing real wood siding on station wagons and real wood veneer on dashboards in 1954. When wood sided station wagons fell out of favor in the 1970's, they turned to architectural uses, but in 2009 the automotive Di-Noc was reintroduced. Probably more of the carbon fiber look Di-Noc is used than wood grain, but it's available. Metro Restyling - Leader in Color Change Wrap Vinyl Supply

rjssigns

Is it a mega-dollar boat/yacht? If so I don't think I'd worry about UV. Around here they only see about 4 months outdoors. More often than not striping, lettering etc..get damaged before they fail from exposure.

JR's

Hi cwade440,
did you happen to find a local supplier?
I almost have the same request they wanted on the side of their hull.

thank you