• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Dusted Crystal installation

Install or send back

• Install

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Send back

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

kninstallations

Hi All,

I received some cut vinyl(3M Dusted Crystal) to install for a client of mine. It was on a roll. It had a plethora of curls and air pockets between the material/premask AND material/liner. My client made the product and says "it's fine." I'm looking for skilled opinions on if I should attempt install or send it back to the maker. If I install - i take liability and it could come back on me as a "bad install job". Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_20171214_192634.jpg
    IMG_20171214_192634.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 449
  • IMG_20171214_192422.jpg
    IMG_20171214_192422.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20171214_192351.jpg
    IMG_20171214_192351.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 283

Chasez

I agree, I would send it back or have the company sign off relieving you of quality of install due to the fact of the material condition.

Chaz

Johnny Best

If it is the 3M 7725 SE series dusted crystal is should be cast material and it will lay fat once you apply it wet and you can flatten out any imperfections. My only concern would be how old the material is, looks like it has been folded up for a while.
Like mentioned, might help to lay flat for a day or two.

CanuckSigns

The 3m dusted crystal is one of the more difficult frosted films to apply, even when it's in good condition, it's mush more prone to creases and wrinkles. However it is on a plastic liner so you might be able to save it if you lay it flat on a table and soak the mask really well and peel it off then re mask it

Marlene

X44-MPCS is a low tack pre mask. It may not be enough to lift the dusted crystal off the backing. We had to order a high tack pre mask when we ran into trouble getting it to pull the vinyl off the clear backing. Do you have any paper or clear liner? If so you can remove the existing and replace it with a flat piece. You would also be able to tell if the low tack is going to be an issue if pieces stay on that old clear liner.

MikePro

contact vinyl supplier, send a new one or pay you the 1-2hrs it would take to fix....which is possible:

i would delaminate the premask, possibly with water assist (wet the mask, it will release easily), squeegee-flat the vinyl to the backing as well as you can, possibly re-roll it onto a cardboard tube graphic-side-out to help get out any creases, and re-mask it with hightack transfer mask shortly before install. wet install, and have a heat gun handy to help smooth-out any creases

MikePro

for those reading, you should NEVER mask a graphic and roll it graphic-side-in. graphic-side-out will prevent tunneling and will keep the mask stretched tight to the graphic, and the graphic stretched tight to the liner.

mmblarg

Oof, decline. The premask is what will mess everything up. Ask the company for a new set rolled with the graphic side facing out. That or see if it's easy enough to pull up the premask and reapply it.