• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ 40C w/ 8508 OverLam

dmfahie

Hello All,

We have consistently used 3M 180c w/8519 on all of our vehicle lettering.We are now lookingat using IJ40C w/8508 as this apprears to be a very nice film(Not for wraps). Does anybody have any experience using this over a id of time? Any pro's, con's?

Thanks in advance.

MikePro

great for anything that doesn't intent to last more than 1-2yrs. ...unless your design includes cracked/shrunk/lifting corners & edges.

that being said, I used this stuff all the time for my coroplast/mdo signage. haven't seen any failures, yet, but that's because they're usually in the dumpster by the time the vinyl has a chance to shrink.

MikePro

"up to 7 years" means nothing. it is, however, a high-performance calendared.. which I guess actually puts it more in the range of 3-5yrs.
I still wouldn't warranty anything that isn't cast... and neither will 3M.

FatCat

great for anything that doesn't intent to last more than 1-2yrs. ...unless your design includes cracked/shrunk/lifting corners & edges.

that being said, I used this stuff all the time for my coroplast/mdo signage. haven't seen any failures, yet, but that's because they're usually in the dumpster by the time the vinyl has a chance to shrink.

Not to argue, but I have to disagree. I guess I don't understand why you would use IJ-40 that costs 2X-3X as much as an economy or standard calendared vinyl to put on coroplast. Seems like a waste??

IJ-40 is a premium material similar to Oracal 3551, or as many refer to it a "super calendared" film. No, you don't want to wrap a car with it or anything with contours. However, we have used it and the Oracal 3551 to wrap flat vertical surfaces like box trucks and enclosed trailers without rivets, also as spot decals on the same as well as billboard and panel type signs. Here in Ohio it will hold up at least 5 years with no worries. However, I also tend to use a cast laminate vs. something calendared because a standard calendared laminate will shrink faster than the IJ-40.

dmfahie

Seaun, thanks for the reply. Have you been using the IJ40 for over years now? I do not intend to use this for wraps, just "spot" graphics, and truck bands (6" printed bands that run around the perimeter of a fleet of vans) 3M does warrantee this vinyl.

FatCat

Seaun, thanks for the reply. Have you been using the IJ40 for over years now? I do not intend to use this for wraps, just "spot" graphics, and truck bands (6" printed bands that run around the perimeter of a fleet of vans) 3M does warrantee this vinyl.

Yes, for instance, before we even had our first printer I had Merritt print about 10 pair of 3' x 14' prints using IJ-40 and a cast laminate. (I had initially wanted to use IJ-180, but Mike at Merritt told me because these were flat panels he would opt for the IJ-40 because he thought the IJ-180 would be a waste on flat panel work.) These prints were installed on 1/8" aluminum panels and bolted to the side of dump trucks. These trucks take a lot of abuse and have been running around town for over 5 years now. The colors have faded a bit over time, but the IJ-40 is holding up great. No peeling or cracking. In fact, this same company just contacted me and I need to do another 5 sets for 5 new trucks they are in the process of purchasing.

IJ-40 is a great material and one of the most durable and cost-effective materials for long-term flat panel work. I would NOT suggest using it on rivets or severe contours, but for what you say you are doing it should be fine.

dmfahie

Seaun, thanks. That was what I was trying to find out iJ40 in a practical use over 5 years. You help is much appreciated

FatCat

Seaun, thanks. That was what I was trying to find out iJ40 in a practical use over 5 years. You help is much appreciated

As with anything, your mileage may vary. If you are trying to give your customer a warranty, I won't do 5 years on anything, even on 3M 180 - just too many variables involved on how they will be used, where they are stored, etc. We warranty materials like IJ-40 and 180 for a year and I tell my customers that average life is 3-5 years depending on conditions and how they take care of it. It's similar to buying tires with a 50,000 mile rating - sometimes you get more, sometimes you get less but much of that depends on use and abuse.

CES020

So you have had this experience with this? 3M rates it at 7 years...

Just to clarify, they rate the IJ-40 at 7 years, but the laminate 8508 is only rated at 3 years.

We just had the 3M rep in here and that's actually one of the setups he recommended we stock for our needs.

FatCat

Just to clarify, they rate the IJ-40 at 7 years, but the laminate 8508 is only rated at 3 years.

We just had the 3M rep in here and that's actually one of the setups he recommended we stock for our needs.

Absolutely, and I apologize if I didn't make that clear. We always use a cast laminate with IJ-40 for long term projects.
If you use a standard calendared laminate it will shrink faster than the IJ40 and will cause lifting on the edges.

NateF

Thanks for the helpful tips. I ran into the same question just today - flat vehicle decals and didn't want to buy a whole roll of cast wrap material. One of my sales reps recommended the IJ40 and said a calendared laminate would work and a cast might be even better. Glad to hear some real-life experience echoing the same thing.

strypguy

I'm a believer in the IJ40 and cast lam. I've used a lot of this combo for trailers and vehicle lettering on flat surfaces. I love the stuff and have not had any failures yet. I'll use the cal lam for indoor projects only. John

MikeD

IJ40-c fumes?

For those of you who have been solvent printing IJ40, did you experience noxious fumes during printing? We're processing a lot of it with a Seiko M. Due to the super fast print speed I've got the post heater maxed and an IR drier in front of the take up. When the product heats up the adhesive starts to fume and is making people very uncomfortable. The printer is enclosed by a vapor barmier, and the air flow is controlled and pushed into an activated charcoal filter, but it still stinks... If we switch over to another media there are zero fume problems.

What has your experience been with this media and fumes?

Thanks,
Miked