• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question 3M IJ180mC-10 Aggressive

Blazing_Murph

Hello Everyone,

We've been printing on 3M IJ18mC-10 on our Mimaki JV300-160 for a few of our last wrap installs. Our installer can't stand this stuff. Its been really aggressive for him and he's dreading doing our jobs. I'm just trying to figure out if anyone else is having issues with this material or if anyone has a suggested color profile for our machine. We've been in touch with 3M and have even constructed an outgassing cabinet to help the material breathe a little. Our installer suggested trying a new material, possibly Avery, what is everyone else using out there? We want to make life easy for our installer so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mfwalsh

My shop has switched from using the 3M IJ180 to Avery 1105. The 180 is much too aggressive lately and as been giving me nothing but trouble on the last few install I did with it. Just finished 2 wraps with the 1105 and it is much easier and faster to work with. Colors also seem much more vibrant on it using our HP Latex.

FatCat

Yup, 3M is very aggressive - we print with eco solvent. We too have almost gotten totally away from 3M and have been using Avery 1105 now the past 3+ years. Much easier to work with, our installers prefer it and its cheaper than 3M, so its a win-win.

HulkSmash

DO. Not use micro comply. again.. DO NOT USE IT.

1st - the stuff is absolute garbage.
2nd - the air release doesn't even work properly.. which is prob why your installer hates it.

Blazing_Murph

Thanks Everyone,

My installer will be happy that he's not alone with these issues. We'll have to try out Avery 1105 on our next install and see what he thinks. If you have any other material suggestions that would be great. You guys rock!

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
You guys will never go back to 3M :D:D
I used to love 3M when they only had 180cv3 and the old aggressive IJ40.
Then they rolled out with the new glue and smaller air channel and everything changed. It did got better. I remember a couple years ago that if you had print on the vinyl the liner was so hard to pull off you stretched the material with it!! Just by pulling the liner off. It was ridiculous! That crap is gone but there are other problems. Like the glue being waaaay too agressive. If it touches itself it will mess up the glue and it will be ugly once you install it. Air release suck. If you push on a bubble it will just create a bigger mess. I call it the "spiderweb clusterf*ck"
I switched to Avery 1105 because i am a lone installer and it's like 300 dollar cheaper per kit and the industry is way overpopulated in south florida. There are more signs shops then mcdonalds. Everyone is bidding under all the time :(