• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Material (Need advice/Alternative)

Ava

Hi guys,

We're pretty new to the digital printing world. Recently we purchased a new Roland Sp-300i. We also purchased a roll of 3M IJ180CV3 material with hopes to make ipad/iphone skins. We thought that we were purchasing the material below as the person who did the review said it was 3M Controltac material, however the material we received is quite thin, and the sticky side does not have the checkered pattern like you see. Can anyone advice which material we should use that will be perfect for mobile skins and devices? Also we'd like to know which material this is below specically for future reference.

http://igadgetlife.com/gadgets/apple/musicskins-for-13”-macbook-laptops/

More images/info on skin at this link.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 334
Last edited by a moderator:

HulkSmash

That's not ij180, that's 1 year removable fleet vinyl that has the control tac backing.

it's called ij 3500 series. We use it to wrap buses and trains

threeputt

We've wrapped some laptops (which I gotta believe is similar to your project needs) with 3-M IJ180 V-3 after laminating with Gamut Skin from Fellers.

Worked out well.

Anicom

It is probably IJ180C, the precursor to V3. The V3 has very small cross-hatching(air egress) but they're both 2 mil cast vinyl. Throw on some 2-mil lam and it should be a bit easier to handle. We like the 3M 8518 for a nice glass finish, it's also a 2 mil so makes for a thin combination and very conformable.

Ava

We haven't tried laminating as we're still getting set up. However when we tried to just peel the vinyl away, it was very thin and hard to manage. Should we stick with this roll and add a laminate? Would that allow for the skin to achieve a "peel and stick" application?

HulkSmash

It is probably IJ180C, the precursor to V3. The V3 has very small cross-hatching(air egress) but they're both 2 mil cast vinyl. Throw on some 2-mil lam and it should be a bit easier to handle. We like the 3M 8518 for a nice glass finish, it's also a 2 mil so makes for a thin combination and very conformable.

no it's not...

i already told him what it was.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Regular 180C-10 has the cross hatches, 180CV3 does not, it has little air channels, but you cannot see the cross-hatches like you can on regular 180C.

Yes, get in a habit of always laminating digital prints whenever you can. The thin-ness of wrap vinyl is for a reason. (so that it wraps) Adding laminate (8518/8519/8520) will thicken it up to more manageable levels.

One product we have had great success with for phone/laptop wraps is IJ35C-10. It is a much cheaper product, has air release and is a bit thicker than 180C. We just laminate it with Oracal 210 lam.