• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M primer

Chasez

Haven't used it with Avery material but have used it with 3M Dinoc. the primer is DP-900N. works like a charm.
Don't know if that helps but I imagine that the material won't make too much of a difference.

Chaz

2B

have not tried it with Avery, Oracal/Orafol distinctly says DO NOT use primer 94 with their vinyls

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
As 2B said, do not use it with Oracal/Orafol. They are pretty adamant about not using it and I've had real world failures using primer and Oracal (before I heard not to). Paul Roba with avery used to say you could use primer but it wasn't needed with 1005SC EZ. Mactac and Arlon said it was ok as well.

Clem

we've tried it a couple of times but i definitely wouldn't recommend it, there should be better ways to go about whatever the task may be that you're doing.

my main beef with it is, sure, it may be tacky as hell, but the bond is between the primer and the adhesive on the vinyl, if the vinyl isn't installed properly it will fail whether or not there is primer as the bond between the primer and adhesive becomes stronger than the bond between the adhesive and the vinyl.

only two scenarios that I've seen when the vinyl fails;

one: there was no primer used and the vinyl and adhesive come away from the recess.
two: there was primer used and the vinyl comes away from the adhesive, which has bonded (well) to the primer; and now you have to clean it all off to replace.

I would focus on technique of installation rather than primers and the like.