• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m vinyl colors

MHester

A customer of mine wants to get a sign made with approved colors from the city planning board. The colors that were approved are 3m Vinyl Orange 3630-3123 and 3M vinyl Magenta 3630-1379. I'm going to farm this out to another company who can make the type of signage they want, it's well beyond our capabilities here. But I wanted to see what those colors looked like. I looked for them on 3M's website, and I believe it's in the 3630 series of film. But I can't seem to find the "-3123" and "-1379" colors. Can someone please decipher these colors for me? Thanks so much. I want to learn something new today :)

StarSign

So the 3630 is the translucent line if I'm thinking right. I would guess they gave you bad numbers, go back and confirm......

bannertime

Don't match any thing I can see in my 3m swatches. I've got two for 3630 and they are only 2 and 3 digit color codes. Didn't look like anything in any other series either. Might be a product code from a dealer?

MHester

So the 3630 is the translucent line if I'm thinking right. I would guess they gave you bad numbers, go back and confirm......
Yea, that's what I'm thinking too. I thought the specific colors were only 3 digits, not 4.

MHester

Don't match any thing I can see in my 3m swatches. I've got two for 3630 and they are only 2 and 3 digit color codes. Didn't look like anything in any other series either. Might be a product code from a dealer?
That's a possibility, or a typo.... Thanks. I'll go back to them and confirm color #'s.

MHester

So, I finally found out what was up with the colors. 3m Vinyl Orange 3630-3123 and 3M vinyl Magenta 3630-1379 are specific colors made just for Dunkin Donuts. The folks I'm making a sign for share a building with DD and those are their colors. Hmm...learn something new every day. Just thought I'd share...it wasn't a typo after all.

MHester

Not sure DD would want their neighbor using their corporate colors.
It was actually required by the city zoning board that these colors were approved for the signage. There were about 8 colors that were approved and the DD colors were 2 of them. I'm like you, I wouldn't want my sign colors to use the same DD colors either, so I'll stay away from them and use the remaining 6 colors for the signage.

Patentagosse

I hate when cities or town planners told us what colors or materials to use. Around here they act like jerk when it comes to deliver the permit and think THEY KNOW EVERYTHING. Who are they to decide what's good for our customers? I'm all on as for having rules and to avoid excess from some people but to told me what color to use is honestly abusive. If they were giving me 8 approuved colors to choose from, I'd pass and let my client know they should hire 'em to do the damn sign.

Marlene

So, I finally found out what was up with the colors. 3m Vinyl Orange 3630-3123 and 3M vinyl Magenta 3630-1379 are specific colors made just for Dunkin Donuts. The folks I'm making a sign for share a building with DD and those are their colors. Hmm...learn something new every day. Just thought I'd share...it wasn't a typo after all.

vinyls made for a corporations usually can't be purchased by just anyone. we ran into this with TD Bank and Quiznos. you may have to go with painted Pantone colors instead

henryz

You'll need to get Corporate approval from DD to buy 3m- VT vinyl. They are DD which we do here in CA. That's what one company submitted to the city is not for all the tenants to use but what do cities know. I've never hear of such and believe me we have the toughest regulations out there. Maybe you have an approved vendor manufacture the sign for you.