• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m vs Avery Wrap vinyl

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Hello!
We have been contracted to do a wrap install on a pick up truck. We have only done a few "installs only" so we have not had any experience with Avery. We use strictly 3M here in house now. We did use Arlon once and went back to 3M.
Is there any big noticeable differences? Anything that stands out when installing that we should watch for or is it pretty much the same?
Appreciate your insights!
Thanks and have an awesome hump day everyone!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hello!
We have been contracted to do a wrap install on a pick up truck. We have only done a few "installs only" so we have not had any experience with Avery. We use strictly 3M here in house now. We did use Arlon once and went back to 3M.
Is there any big noticeable differences? Anything that stands out when installing that we should watch for or is it pretty much the same?
Appreciate your insights!
Thanks and have an awesome hump day everyone!

Back in the early 2000's or so, we started using the Avery line of wrap materials. I no longer recall the part numbers, but with the laminate, it was the cat's meow. Easy printing, easy applying and overall just easy to put down. Very forgiving. And...... easy on the pocketbook. However, Avery for some reason [which I can no longer discuss] went bad rather quickly. We were forced to move over to 3M and basically do it now with 3M or OraCal which has changed it's name. Putting it down is generally not a problem, but some, still run into issues, at later dates. Whether it's an application failure or product failure is very hard to determine.

Good Luck............... :thumb:

Silvertip

Product issues

I had read/heard about some of the issues and we do have a signed waiver that basically releases us from any product liability. If I don't do everything in house I warranty nothing. I was just a bit curious to know if (because every vinyl is a bit different) if there were any known issues to watch for.
As for what laminate was used or if it even is Avery is an unknown for sure. The call out product was Avery but there is no marking on the backer liner so I can't be sure that it is what they say it is.
My husband is really good so I am sure he will figure out any nuance by the second piece but I always like to reach out here as the info has been solid!

Dennis422

It is very easy to install. Probably the easiest from all the brands.
Does not stick much until you press with squeegee, easy to pull back of the vehicle and recovers very well when heated up with the heat gun.

If I could, I would have all of my wraps done with Avery.
Just finished a vehicle with Orafol RA970 color change material, it is OK to work with but a lot more aggressive than Avery product.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We're not an Avery user anymore, but I think all Avery products have the logo across the backing paper. I would make some inquiries.

2B

We're not an Avery user anymore, but I think all Avery products have the logo across the backing paper. I would make some inquiries.

The big brands all label the backing, Avery 3M Oracal Arlon

while Avery may be the easiest to install, they are seems to have the shortest life span.
http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...-Failures-Return&highlight=avery+wrap+failure

we prefer the Oracal 3751 PA & 290F lamination for our wraps, the colors are always vivid and usually very consistent.
yes it is a little more aggressive initially when laying but if you are used to it, it goes smooth enough

Kwiksigns

wookie
1005 avery product has no label on the liner. Never has. Super easy to install. We personally have seen it last long and stays down extremely well.

While it may have different results, we personally have been using it for years and have never had a failure like that. Anytime I get a defective roll, which I havent had an issue in a while, it gets overnighted to me if I can't pick it up. Avery even contacted me and gave me some colorchange vinyl for the headache.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1005 avery product has no label on the liner. Never has. Super easy to install. We personally have seen it last long and stays down extremely well.

While it may have different results, we personally have been using it for years and have never had a failure like that. Anytime I get a defective roll, which I havent had an issue in a while, it gets overnighted to me if I can't pick it up. Avery even contacted me and gave me some colorchange vinyl for the headache.

Yeah, I think that was the stuff we used to use. That number sounds familiar.

idsignsil

We recently switched to Avery 1005 EZ RS and 1360 Gloss Lam. We had been using Oracal 3751 GRA and 290 Gloss lam. The installers out back like the fact that the Avery is much easier to work with (much less initial tack and easy to snap back). The Oracal and 3M that we have used in the past has a much higher initial tack.

As far as my end, the design and printing, the Avery prints look just as good as the Oracal coming off of our Roland XC-540. Downloaded profiles form both manufactures websites.

Baz

Avery had failures when they switched adhesives from solvent to acrylic based back in the early 00's.

I have no issues with MPI 1005 and DOL 1060 for laminate.

I prefer using it over other brands.

DirtyD

i love installing with 1005ears lays down beautifully and bubble wrinkles come out so easy on the stuff - it does seem thinner at least to me than 3M.

You can pull the backing off and get it into position just fine but it sticks rather good after you put some pressure on it. but your still able to peel it back off and heat it back to shape. That being said it sticks like glue in the channels and what not..

I have also had a bad roll and they replaced asap

greysquirrel

What kind of printer? Avery 1005 currently has issues with Latex 300 series printers...no fix anytime soon...issue does not affect all rolls...hit or miss...

3M is pricey but it works...switched to the new Mactac formula and absolutely love it.

Bly

What kind of printer? Avery 1005 currently has issues with Latex 300 series printers...no fix anytime soon...issue does not affect all rolls...hit or miss...

3M is pricey but it works...switched to the new Mactac formula and absolutely love it.

In fact there is a fix - they have a new product - MPI 1105 Easy Apply RS™ cast film and DOL 6460 Premium High Gloss overlaminate.
Haven't used any yet but this is meant to print well on latex machines and have increased durability including horizontal surfaces.
http://graphicsap.averydennison.com/en/home/about-us/products-and-technology/mpi-1105-dol-6460.html

We were using 3M 480CV3 - prints great and stays down in recesses but leaves a LOT of adhesive on removal.
Switched to Avery 1005 with 1460 lam and have been pleased with it apart from the odd roll with plasticiser migration on the 360s - no probs getting replacement rolls.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Avery has had a blank liner since they had a huge problem with the ink on the liner transferring over to the laminate on finished prints. It has been years since the logo was on the back.

Easiest way to tell if it is Avery is by the hexagonal pattern on the adhesive.

Silvertip

Install Report

Well it is handling just fine! Wrap is about 1/2 done and there have not been any issues. Does seem a little thinner than 3M but is behaving! The stretch is a bit different but overall...not bad.

HulkSmash

The big brands all label the backing, Avery 3M Oracal Arlon

while Avery may be the easiest to install, they are seems to have the shortest life span.
http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...-Failures-Return&highlight=avery+wrap+failure

we prefer the Oracal 3751 PA & 290F lamination for our wraps, the colors are always vivid and usually very consistent.
yes it is a little more aggressive initially when laying but if you are used to it, it goes smooth enough

noooo they don't

Christian @ 2CT Media

We haven't had any issues on the 360 with 1005. But I guess as the press release has been going out I can now say they are replacing 1005 with 1105 and they are rereleasing 6460 possibly under a new number to better compete with Arlons new starlet the 6100xlp and 3310.

To now have 2 great options sub $800/kit is great and polyurethane is the way to go... Longer life and much easier to work with.

Avery vs 3M

One of the differences Avery has is that it has a light tack vs 3m which is a heavier tack. As you can imagine this can translate to a higher probability of lifting. Just make sure to post heat the edges and you should be fine.