• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M wrap material

toodark

I have been searching to find what 3m product everyone likes better. So many dang choices. J180, J180v3, J180mC, J180c, SV480, and J380Cv3. I used so color change 3m with controltac and loved it, I like the ability to reposition the film a lot better than the 3951 and the 3951 seems to do a crappy job staying put on some the most basic curves. I'm using now.(not sure which material) so I figured I would give their wrap material a try. Which of the many choices does 3m have the ability to repositiona and also do a nice job staying in position on some of the complex curves.

Thanks,

Joe House

As I don't do wraps, I'll let others chime in on their favorite, but I know that some of the films are optimized for latex vs. solvent, so I wanted to get that cleared up for you. The IJ-180 series has been a gold standard for a long time. I think that the latest version has a micro comply adhesive with air egress channels that are very small and hard to see on the finished product, but some think that they are too small and will allow trapped air.

Depending on what exactly you are applying it to, we use a lot of IJ35C for anything going indoors, and IJ180 for more outdoor usage.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Tons of CV3 here over the years as well but several months back changed up the the newer 180mc and really liking that even more.

ikarasu

We usually use 180CV3. I believe 180 MC is replacing the CV3 eventually... We got a couple rolls of it in when they were out of 180, and it worked pretty much the same. We didnt use it for any wrapping, so I cant comment on its newer / better properties.

480 is more stretchable than 180, we use it for stuff we need to stretch a lot.. like helmets. It's also more environmentally friendly. It acts pretty much the same as 180, except I believe it can stretch 20% more?

IJ35 is ok...We used to use it for real estate signs, but we started to use a higher quality version of mactac, IJ35 was ok, but the mactac was better / around the same price.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i use 180-10cv3 for everything and wrap with it all day long. printed with my hp latex and the 3m luster overlam 8519 works like a charm for everything i do with it

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
IJ180 more tack and no air release
ij180c less initial tack. visible X air release pattern
180mc and cv3 is very similar. pressure activated adhesive and very easy to reposition it. decent air release. I used to LOVE it but they changed the air release and with solvent ink it's very very easy to trap air and it makes a mess if you try to push it. You should be ok with latex.
380 is the same but you can stretch more and has a different vinyl memory. It should not pop up from deep concave areas.
480 is non pvc vinyl made with less bad chemicals etc.
40C is a calendered vinyl. a lot less aggressive compared to the old IJ40.
It has air release. good for outdoors.Perfect for box trucks
48C is the eco calendared vinyl like 480. non pvc. made with less or not as bad chemicals.
160C is also a calendared vinyl. thicker than 40c. never used it. I just usually get the 40c
35C is a permanent calendared vinyl that is not made for vehicle wraps. Good for indoor and med long term outdoor signage.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
IJ180cv3 with 8548G lam for just about everything.

IJ380 with 8548G lam for vehicles like sprinters.

The micro-comply adhesive is very much the same as cv3 just have to be a bit more careful on cutting of channels and might take just a bit longer for that bubble to be removed because you are moving the air through a smaller channel.

Add as always DON'T FORGET TO POST HEAT!!!!

WB

As an Installer I like the 180CV3. I haven't actually tried the MC series.
I did find the 480 more aggressive when I was applying it but that might be because it was on more complex surfaces.
When I was printing on my old L26500 HP both materials did great, latex loved that 3M material.

HulkSmash

The ij180 MC is actually broken. I wouldn't use it if were you guys. The air release doesn't work properly. the stuff is literal garbage.

AKwrapguy

IJ180CV3 with 8518, 8519, 8520 lams.

Was given a kit with the IJ180MC and wasn't that impressed. The kit had to sit here for a few weeks and the graphic shrunk almost 1/4" and it started to lift . Not sure what lam they were using and not sure how the installer cleaned the rig first, but it's still a little concerning either way.

Recently were were shipped three rolls of IJ180CV1, I forgot how much I missed that material.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The ij180 MC is actually broken. I wouldn't use it if were you guys. The air release doesn't work properly. the stuff is literal garbage.

Have not noticed that here (not yet anyways) and we have literally used a TON of it. I wonder if its a bad batch? We have been liking it better than the CV3. We are wrapping 39 new 2017 New Flyer Excelsior city buses and are on the final stretch now with 6 left to go. Interesting contract too - spec'd with 3M 180, 8548G lam, 680CR reflective overlays (same lam), and 3690LF (basically the same as the new 180 LSE at 25% less cost) with 8518 for the inside ceiling also being fully wrapped. Not had any issues with the material other than 3M's terrible packaging and the stupid core tube being 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch longer than the vinyl. The poor core supports and longer tube causes the material to telescope in the boxes and mushes the edges of the rolls up some which is very aggravating but the material overall has seemed fine otherwise.

IMG_1615.jpg

Melks

When I began installing graphics I was often using 3M products and always loved them. I have been experimenting with Avery films, KPMF and Oracal films and think they all work well. In my opinion its a personal preference. Personally I love working with 3M IJ180 films past and present paired with 3M overlaminates.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Never had a shrinking problem with 180 films. the 180mc is a pain. The air release is so tiny it will give you bubbles that you can't get rid off :(
if it touches the vehicle and you reposition it or touches itself it will mess up the glue and you will see a weird texture from the glue. I have used a few rolls but going back to regular cv3.
I prefer avery 1105. twice as easy to install