• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3mm Pvc Ok For Hanging Post?

Locals Find!

I have a customer who wants to replace his existing aluminum real estate signs with another material. The signs are all used on single arm posts. The aluminum signs keep growing legs and walking off. So, I ruled out coroplast due to it being too light for being hung. Was debating on whether 3mm pvc could be used.

Does anyone on here know if the 3mm pvc would have enough weight. To be safely hung on a single arm post, or will it be too light like the coroplast?

Thanks in advance.

TXFB.INS

too light and flimsy, if you go with the PVC 6mm or 12mm is better suited.
10mm corplast is another option

I would be more interested in staying with metal but improving the way it is attached to the post

Locals Find!

too light and flimsy, if you go with the PVC 6mm or 12mm is better suited.
10mm corplast is another option

I would be more interested in staying with metal but improving the way it is attached to the post

The problem we are finding isn't so much it falling off the post. The problem is the unemployed bums who find it much easier to steal the signs than get real jobs. The scrap yard here has a don't ask don't tell policy regarding what you bring in.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
We use only 3mm ACM for up to 4x4's.
Very little alum a lot of plastic.
If you want to know what other companies offer for RE sign materials look at the Oakley, Dee or Lowen websites.

Billct2

ACM is a good option, but they may still think it's aluminum. We do 10mm coro for some customers.

Johnny Best

Thats why I use the fiberbrite, scrape metal places don't give you anything for fiberglass. Comes in colors and it is durable.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Addie........ good seeing you back on the forum..... yeah right.

Use Duron.​

Locals Find!

Hey Addie........ good seeing you back on the forum..... yeah right.

Use Duron.​

Hey Gino, New me. New business model. No more Addie. Just Jason trying to make a living and NOT repeat NOT stir up stuff. Partnered up with another company that does logo design & websites for me. So, I don't dabble in those areas anymore. (I should have never touched them in the first place) I send customers to him he fixes them up with all the design and branding. I simply make the products happen for them. I am just focusing on sticking with what I know. Printing and real estate signs. Working on maybe getting my first printer next year some time. Looking into the HP latex.

The Duron would be a good choice if I had a trade supplier to sell it too me. Wanna PM me a quote? Like I said, new business, new me. No more Addie no more drama. Just Jason.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
I may get trashed for it here but go with the PVC knowing it may bow. (as long as they are not 24x36 panels)
If they don't like it, try something else next batch. At least they will last long enough to test.
I wouldn't use Poly because it bends a lot.
Some of the longest lasting RE signs I have seen were made of PVC.
Still have one here that is more than 20 years old, I wouldn't use it, but it doesn't look that bad considering its age and the exposure it has had.

Locals Find!

I may get trashed for it here but go with the PVC knowing it may bow. (as long as they are not 24x36 panels)
If they don't like it, try something else next batch. At least they will last long enough to test.
I wouldn't use Poly because it bends a lot.
Some of the longest lasting RE signs I have seen were made of PVC.
Still have one here that is more than 20 years old, I wouldn't use it, but it doesn't look that bad considering its age and the exposure it has had.

I think I will do that. I will just give the customer a couple to test for me and see what happens. Thanks.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Don't even bother trying the 3mm PVC, Jason. It won't last long at all down here in this lovely Florida sun and the warping may leave a bad taste in your customer's mouth that you would give him something so crappy. Especially if it is the cheap PVC that most of the suppliers around here sell. I had to quit using it for anything but very small signs since it is so flimsy. We used to get some Xcel branded PVC that was decent, but no one seems to carry it anymore - just a cheap version of it. The alum composite is your best bet (and pretty cost-effective too).

Locals Find!

Hey Stacy, long time no see. How's business? What has been your experience with bolting the PVC into frames? Still seeing warping issues? I have been running into issues with my coroplast lately also. It has been dry rotting inside of 6 months and just crumbling. No one complains because, well it's cheap. However, I hate selling stuff that won't make it at least a year.

Marlene

anyone who has ever made a sign should know what PVC can and can't do without having to ask but since you did, no 3mm won't work.

Locals Find!

anyone who has ever made a sign should know what PVC can and can't do without having to ask but since you did, no 3mm won't work.
Your statement assumes, that someone has worked with every single material available. In my niche I haven't had a reason to ever use PVC for sign making in my entire 15 year career. My only exposure to pvc has been laying pipe with it, and building patio furniture. So, having never used the material I came here to ask advice from those who have used the material and have more experience. I could have done with out the pretentiousness, this is a place to ask for help when needed. I also, attempted to google & search the site before asking. So, asking the members here was a last ditch effort.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, with all that malarkey being said, what decision are you gonna run with ??

While you might not have ever used this specific substrate, this subject has been discussed to death over the years and you know it. With 15 years of experience, did you ever think to use the 'Search' button and look there..... or are you still taking shortcuts and making others do your work ??

If this is the new and improved Addie, it still needs a lotta work. You say you specialize in real estate signs, but don't know the basics of what you said you are quite adept doing. :banghead:

Johnny Best

Plumbing pvc and patio furniture is different kind than sign material pvc, for signs it is closed foam cell pvc and the other is solid. I think it is considered type i and type 2. Since the sign kind is foam cell it will warp and crack like everyone is telling you.
But remembering the Addie from before and now renamed Jason, to protect the innocents, a tiger does not change his stripes and you will do want you want and take advice like a crackhead on cleaning themselves up.

Locals Find!

So, with all that malarkey being said, what decision are you gonna run with ??

While you might not have ever used this specific substrate, this subject has been discussed to death over the years and you know it. With 15 years of experience, did you ever think to use the 'Search' button and look there..... or are you still taking shortcuts and making others do your work ??

If this is the new and improved Addie, it still needs a lotta work. You say you specialize in real estate signs, but don't know the basics of what you said you are quite adept doing. :banghead:

If you had read what I said, I did use google and searched the site prior to posting.

As for what I have decided to do. I have given the customer the option of the aluminum composite material. I will see what he decides. After all the feedback, good advice, and knowledge I have been given on PVC in the last 24 hours. I am going to avoid using it, it won't work well for anything I do. I have been told it won't hold up well in Florida's UV Rays and extreme temps. No matter what application I attempt to use it in outdoors. So, I am now armed with more knowledge than when I started.

Gino, I have also clearly mentioned multiple times in this thread and elsewhere I use mainly coroplast & aluminum. The two materials used most used for signage by real estate agents. I haven't had a need prior to this to venture out from those materials. I didn't come on here with an attitude or, to take a shortcut. I came on here politely and asked a question. I made no personal attacks, no insults, no arguments. Nothing like the old me from the past.

Have a good day!