• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3x4' Hanging Sign Substrate and hanging advice

jtaylor79

I have a client that wants at hanging sign that is approximately 3x4'. We are replacing an old wooden sign and they would like to not use metal. What is the best substrate to use, knowing that vinyl needs to adhere to it? I've never made a hanging sign this large so I'm a bit at a loss. I was thinking HDU but have been reading many pros and cons for it. And what is the best way to hang the sign so it doesn't blow too much in the wind?
Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How 'bout posting up the old sign, a close up of how it's installed presently and what you can and cannot do/make ?? :smile:

jtaylor79

Here is the sign we're replacing that's 20+ years old. They would prefer to not have a metal sign. Generally I use aluminum/dibond materials for signage with vinyl graphics. I've never done a hanging sign this large. Advice appreciated...

Attachments

• Dowds_Directions_photo.jpg
    Dowds_Directions_photo.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 141

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That is a hand-carved sign and you wanna just do vinyl ?? It looks like gold paint, but they were generally gilded. The place is over 200 years old and you wanna put a cheap aluminum and vinyl sign up ??

Be creative and find a source for a 3D sign, be it carved or raised copy. If it's beyond your capabilities, then farm it out.... or tell them to find someone with more experience. No offense, but if this is a large sign for you and you can't figure out what to do, I think you're in over your head.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
In a nutshell, HDU is overkill for vinyl graphics. HDU lends itself more for sandblasting, carving and routing than plain jane vinyl lettering.

TimToad

Unless you've been constrained by the client giving you very little budget to work with, this business by virtue of lasting over 200 years DESERVES your best effort.

Even if you aren't in a position to fabricate your own carved, routed or sandblasted sign, there are tons of wholesale producers who could take your artwork and create whatever you envision.

rossmosh

To answer your question, 1" exterior grade PVC will do the job. Please note I said EXTERIOR grade. Most suppliers do not know the difference so it's important to get the right stuff. Below is a little sheet sheet for PVC. Although this isn't a full proof method to tell the difference between the two materials, glossy = exterior.

Jain: Interior = Ex-CEL FF. Exterior = Ex-CEL IF
Kommerling: Interior = Komatex. Exterior = Komacel
Vycom: Interior = Celtic. Exterior = Celtic Ultra White
Palram: Interior = Palight Premium/EPS/Project. Exterior = Palight Outdoor
Azek: As far as I know, it's all exterior grade but, it's also matte finish.

As for the bigger picture, I think a responsible sign shop would also offer a dimensional/carved sign. A responsible shop should also try to explain with minimal bias the pros and cons of each. Once the customer is informed, let them make the decision. In the end, it's their business and their money.

Billct2

Why a new sign? Is the name changing? The old one doesn't look that bad in the photo (at least the material doesn't look bad).
If it has to be replaced a carved sign should be the first suggestion. If budget isn't there then at least a thick sign so it doesn't look cheap.
I would probably do a colonial shape out of two pieces of ACM and bond them to some scrap HDU to build up the thickness.
At the same time build in a solid hanging method.

TSC1985

That is a hand-carved sign and you wanna just do vinyl ?? It looks like gold paint, but they were generally gilded. The place is over 200 years old and you wanna put a cheap aluminum and vinyl sign up ??

Be creative and find a source for a 3D sign, be it carved or raised copy. If it's beyond your capabilities, then farm it out.... or tell them to find someone with more experience. No offense, but if this is a large sign for you and you can't figure out what to do, I think you're in over your head.

Do you have a good wholesaler of HDU/ceder sandblasting? Im in Oregon and have a client that is looking for a few 3'x6's and I am tired of using my guy out here. Thank you

TimToad

Do you have a good wholesaler of HDU/ceder sandblasting? Im in Oregon and have a client that is looking for a few 3'x6's and I am tired of using my guy out here. Thank you

How much of the process are you capable of handling or wanting to handle?

There are tons of wholesalers who will do anything from just supplying the blanks to shipping you a fully finished product.

Our trade periodicals are filled with ads for them.

TSC1985

How much of the process are you capable of handling or wanting to handle?

There are tons of wholesalers who will do anything from just supplying the blanks to shipping you a fully finished product.

Our trade periodicals are filled with ads for them.

We would need a finished product.

TimToad

We would need a finished product.

My first research would be in the suppliers section of this website under wholesale routed or sandblasted signs. Or start a new thread asking for suppliers of either sandblasted wood signs or routed HDU signs. You'll get responses from those capable of getting you what you need.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

We've already used cedar, but prefer 6/4" all clear heart, vertical grain redwood. I personally, go to the lumber mill and pick out the grain I want. I try to get as much with the same grain as possible and glue them up accordingly. We generally get around $4,000 worth of 12" × 20' × 6/4" at a pop. Then we store it at the shop. We glue up our own blanks, apply the mask and have a friend of mine blast it. I became severely allergic to the tannins in redwood about 15 or 20 years ago from blasting them myself, so that part we now sub out. We then finish them by painting and/or gilding and install them oursleves. To ship several 3' × 6's to you across the country, would cost you a small fiortune. Try to find someone close to you to do the work. When you buy ready-made blanks, the grain almost never matches and to me, that looks dumb. Learn to get more hands-on with this type of sign, and you can go really far with tnem.

Good luck.