• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4 ft x 8 ft commercial real estate sign

loudsigns

Hello,

I'm looking for the best option to adhere vinyl to wood. I've just attempted vinyl on painted plywood and it won't stick. I've noticed other signs that appear that they are adhered straight to wood. Is there a special type of wood I should be using? Is there a specific paint that works better? I'm not looking for a substrate medium like chloroplast between the vinyl and wood as well. Your thoughts please. :)

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What kinda wood ??
What kinda paint ??
Roller, spray or brush ??
What kinda vinyl ??
Wet or dry ??

loudsigns

Gino,

Thanks for the quick reply:

What kinda wood ?? - plywood
What kinda paint ?? - satin exterior
Roller, spray or brush ?? - spray
What kinda vinyl ?? - calendar
Wet or dry ?? - dry

rossmosh

It's likely the paint you used. The paint is either not full dry or you used something with a bunch of additives in it that prevent the vinyl from sticking.

Try Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel or Super Paint. Both are proven to work well with vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I
Gino,

Thanks for the quick reply:

What kinda wood ?? - plywood
What kinda paint ?? - satin exterior
Roller, spray or brush ?? - spray
What kinda vinyl ?? - calendar
Wet or dry ?? - dry

MDO or just interior grade 5 plies plywood ??
Oil based, acrylic based, latex ??
Rattle can spray or through a gun ??
Vinyl...... no problem.
Dry...... good

loudsigns

Gino,

Thanks again:

MDO or just interior grade 5 plies plywood ?? Grade 5
Oil based, acrylic based, latex ?? Acrylic
Rattle can spray or through a gun ?? Gun

rossmosh

Latex/Acrylic is not nearly specific enough. While very little innovation has been done with oil based paints, latex paints have changed a lot over the last 20 odd years. They are constantly messing with it to get it to cover better, last longer, dry faster, lower VOC, make it scrubbable, and not have it grow mildew and mold. While this is great for painting your house, it's not great for signs.

This is why it's best to stick with really basic acrylics.

Pippin Decals

I did 2 jobs last year doing this and holding perfectly..I went and bought signboard. Many people call different things but here its called that or mdo signboard..Its basically the same as plywood but it has a smooth surface on the sides or one side..I went and bought oil based semi gloss paint and gave it 2 coats on each side. But before you paint use a silicone that is paintable and seal the edges first really good, then paint everything at least 2 times but giving time for the paint to cure enought between coats. depending on where you live it could take up to a week or 2 for the paint to be somewhat fully gassed out or not enough to worry about the vinyl falling off because of out gassing..Once its gassed out ,you can apply the vinyl you are supposed to use and your done ..My sign hasnt had any issue at all using 751 oracal and is out in the sun and weather and it is fully sealed....

Hello,

I'm looking for the best option to adhere vinyl to wood. I've just attempted vinyl on painted plywood and it won't stick. I've noticed other signs that appear that they are adhered straight to wood. Is there a special type of wood I should be using? Is there a specific paint that works better? I'm not looking for a substrate medium like chloroplast between the vinyl and wood as well. Your thoughts please. :)

Thanks

Kottwitz-Graphics

Gino,

Thanks again:

MDO or just interior grade 5 plies plywood ?? Grade 5
Oil based, acrylic based, latex ?? Acrylic
Rattle can spray or through a gun ?? Gun

Take it and throw it out in the burn pile, or nail it in your garage....

Time to call a sign supply and order the correct materials for the job. MDO (or you can order an Aluminum composite material, which won't have to be painted), Acrylic Enamel paint (you can use one shot), fill any voids in the edge with filler, and prime and paint. You can use intermediate vinyl which is cheaper, or order high performance vinyl (longer lasting), cut, weed, mask, apply, install (or hand off to the customer), and get paid...

Pat Whatley

Paint intended for general use like painting houses has additives to control mildew, chalking, and make dust and grime wash off in the rain. All of that causes vinyl to fail. Sand your panel and recoat it with a good oil based enamel and you'll be okay.

Regular exterior plywood is okay, though not ideal. The only difference in it and MDO is the paper overlay on MDO to make it smoother.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
For full coverage print vinyl on MDO - primed MDO works fine. For cut vinyl graphics, Painted MDO (assuming white background.) If you need a colored background, use primed MDO and paint with Ronin.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Baffles me that someone could start a "sign" shop without any basic knowledge. What your asking is one of the most basic signs...

I guess gone are the days of actually learning something before you venture out and try it on your own, work at a shop for a few years, gain some knowledge...

henryz

A little harsh but well said "ddarlak", I think like all of us started cutting vinyl then moved onto non illuminated sign and then even bigger signs. The problem is these are the ones who under sell everyone because they don't know what they are doing like you said do some research you can practically built anything with youtube.

Billct2

The only time I use plywood for "Real Estate" signs is when it is absolutely specified.
In which case a buy a sheet of pre primed MDO and if needed finish with a coat of oil based bulletin enamel.
If the customer doesn't spec I use alumalite, ACM or 10mm coro for a economy job.
(and some of us started with exterior plywood and brushes :rock-n-roll:)

rossmosh

Paint intended for general use like painting houses has additives to control mildew, chalking, and make dust and grime wash off in the rain. All of that causes vinyl to fail. Sand your panel and recoat it with a good oil based enamel and you'll be okay.

Regular exterior plywood is okay, though not ideal. The only difference in it and MDO is the paper overlay on MDO to make it smoother.

I'm sorry, but you're being far to general with your statement about latex paints. There are many latex paints that are absolutely vinyl compatible. I've named a couple above.

Also, you're simplifying the difference between plywood and MDO. MDO's paper overlay is specifically designed to add durability in exterior use. It's not just for a smooth surface.

Johnny Best

Baffles me that someone could start a "sign" shop without any basic knowledge. What your asking is one of the most basic signs...

I guess gone are the days of actually learning something before you venture out and try it on your own, work at a shop for a few years, gain some knowledge...

I think that is why this place is called Signs101

henryz

Omega Board no need to laminate this will last for years it's coated with a vinyl face single or double sided. By Laminators Inc.

ChicagoGraphics

For full coverage print vinyl on MDO - primed MDO works fine. For cut vinyl graphics, Painted MDO (assuming white background.) If you need a colored background, use primed MDO and paint with Ronin.

A full coverage vinyl print will fall off a just primed mdo board, I know this by experience.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

A full coverage vinyl print will fall off a just primed mdo board, I know this by experience.

Really? I don't think so...I've got maybe 100 signs scattered across the DFW metroplex made this way. Not one issue with them. In fact, I've tried to pull a print off of a board after discovering a mistake. Decided to just overlay again, because that print was not coming off.