• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

40c with 8048 lam failing

klingsdesigns

Not sure what happened. Ink dried for more than 24 hours. Where I put the screws back in the vinyl twisted more than normal. Saw the trailer 3 days later and vinyl is spreading around the screws and also coming up a little on the seams.

Attachments

• trailer1.JPG
    trailer1.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 242
  • trailer2.JPG
    trailer2.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 239

klingsdesigns

It has been hot here and trailer is sitting in the sun, but never had this happen before. Not sure if its because of the 8048 being so flexible or what.

AKwrapguy

I looks like you just over tightened the screws.... Did you pre-cut the holes before putting the screw back in?

klingsdesigns

I do it the same way since 2005 and never had this issue. I either put an x with the knife or pierce them with screw. When i star them i heat up before i put in screw. Also when i tightened down It just touched the vinyl and twisted. Usually i can get them tighter than they are. Then when i backed out the screw i couldnt even get the vinyl to lay flat again, with heat or not.

klingsdesigns

I just tried to take a few screws out heat back up and try to lay flat and use a square head driver and hand tighten. Cant even touch the vinyl without making it twist. Also here is a picture of the seam lifting.

Attachments

• IMG_8310.jpg
    IMG_8310.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 223

AKwrapguy

My first instinct would be prep issue. But I also know that some people will use silicone on crew holes and seams that leak, so it might be that as well.

klingsdesigns

I have never lettered this brand of trailer before. And it looks like when it was made the screws were tightened a lot where the metal dimpled in behind them. Vinyl should still stick. We did go over ever hole and trailer with iso. I am going to take a some squares of vinyl and different brands and try putting over a screw hole and tighten down and see if it is just the 40c that is doing it.

k.a.s.

There can be some twisting around screws with anything but I stopped using 40c over a year ago, it's crap. Had to re-do quite a few projects that were curling at the edge, like you have at the trailer seam.

Kevin

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
no matter what vinyl you will use this will happen. don't matter if its calendered or cast either. if you put a screw in there it will twist the vinyl. I thought this was a common knowledge

klingsdesigns

There can be some twisting around screws with anything but I stopped using 40c over a year ago, it's crap. Had to re-do quite a few projects that were curling at the edge, like you have at the trailer seam.

Kevin
what are you using now compared to it?

klingsdesigns

no matter what vinyl you will use this will happen. don't matter if its calendered or cast either. if you put a screw in there it will twist the vinyl. I thought this was a common knowledge

Not true. I took a piece of old 40c , new 40c and ij175. Old 40c twisted a little bit, new 40c twisted a lot, ij175 i tightened so much it pushed through the vinyl under the screw and it showed very little twisting.

Christian @ 2CT Media

To prevent twisting we have added the clear silicone washers on trailers we have removed screws on, it provides enough cushion to prevent twisting.

As for the lifting and failing, I honestly think its 40c. 3M seems to be either having a consistency failure on their adhesives or they are changing formulas again.

Asuma01

A line of 3M primer 94 on that metal seam will do the trick. But since its already applied you can probably fix it with 3M edge sealer.

AKwrapguy

Kinda of a shot int the dark here but I've had this happen to me in the past. Sometimes on brand new trailers, they fail to remove the protective plastic. When you cleaned it, did you notice there was anything different about the surface, anything at all? This would explain most of your issues.

klingsdesigns

Kinda of a shot int the dark here but I've had this happen to me in the past. Sometimes on brand new trailers, they fail to remove the protective plastic. When you cleaned it, did you notice there was anything different about the surface, anything at all? This would explain most of your issues.

Nothing like that.. I have seen that in the past and removed them. Just didnt seem like the adhesive wanted to grab. We letter a lot of trailers and this is the only time it has happened like this.

klingsdesigns

I ended up putting edge seal on the seams of trailer for now. Hopefully that holds. If customer doesn't like the ripples around the screws I am getting a new roll of 40c today and will reletter it. Hopefully this roll is a little more aggressive on the adhesive.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
doing hundreds of vehicle wraps every year for the last 10 years. There is no one on earth who would change my mind: every single vinyl will turn or twist. unless if you don't tighten them up enough then it won't but the screw could come lose. The more you turn the more it will twist. You could put washers with rubber or silicon on 1 side. Even that will turn if you tighten the screw way to much. Well. At least i did half a decade ago when i tried it.