• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

45 Degree vs 60 Degree Blade

bnosanchuk

I'm hoping the community here can weigh in on this for me as I keep getting different answers from different places. Originally, we were using a 45 degree blade on our Roland Sp-540V. But as our small lettering kept tearing, someone recommended switching to a 60 degree blade for fine detail work. We switched, and everything was going great. But, we've also been cutting some very heavy 6mil vinyl (not lettering) and broke the 60 blade in about two months. Is this normal (seller told us it would last 8 months)? We are also going to start cutting some very thick laminate at 10mil and are wondering if we should go back to the 45 blade for that (thinking the angle will last longer against the heavier material). But another source said to use the 60 for thicker material, not delicate cuts. Wouldn't the tip break and wear much faster as the angle is increased? And then a third source said we should be using the 45 blade for all our vinyl and 60 only for masking.

When and what do you use your blades for and do you swap them depending on the job?

Speedsterbeast

60 Degree for laminated material
45 Degree for cast / cal vinyl.
I use cheaper blades but change them out every month or two.
Also try adjusting your downforce.
I use 150 grams for Oracal 3551 and 290 Lam. -Sp300V
About 80-90 grams on cast vinyl

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I do a quick plot/weed test before every long run. It's just a series of three small rectangles 1/4" by 1"...just enough to let me know the blade is still good. I switch blades when weeding becomes difficult.

A new blade is a ton cheaper than having to re-cut a big job.

Changing blades with the calendar is arbitrary. You should have a setting that gives you total distance traveled. That would be a good place to start.

JB

2B

we use 60* its much easier to keep one blade in stock instead of constantly changing the blade depending on what is being cut. This way you only change your down-force.
always to do a test cut, blades are cheap vs the hassle/time of a tough weed

JMPrinting

I use 45 on everything. Reflective, glitter, cast, cal, shirt vinyl, laminated. I keep a blade for each. If it goes bad, gets replaced. Blades are cheap and I get clean consistent cuts all the time. I've tried 60, just never had luck.

bnosanchuk

Thinner Blade Rip off?

Ok, I think I'll keep using the 60 degree. On a side note, I bought some blades from a local dealer yesterday but when I went to use them, the blade is half the thickness of the original blades from Roland or Clean Cut Blades. They said it won't matter as the angle is the same, but does anyone have an experience using thinner blades? Are they ripping us off? They said the thicker ones have to be specially ordered from Japan...

fine point

I used to use 45 for everything since we don't cut thicker material but found out that 60 is much better with small letters. Use 60 for everything since then.

I change blade every 5-6 months or so. It's a small cost for doing jobs right.

Never had my blade broke on anything even with sandblast and laminated vinyls.

SameDay Signs

We recently switched to 60* on most things just because of detail. Truthfully though for the cost of a blade we will just replace it with a new one every 3-4 weeks regardless is its still good. I'd suggest just buying up like 10-15 blades and keep them in stock. Its like ink, you have to have a few extra because eventually it'll bite you in the A** if you don't.