• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

48 x 120 fully flooded dusted crystal installation

ADuke

I have a customer that wants a 48" x 120" x 1/2" thick piece of acrylic fully flooded with dusted crystal vinyl with an image reverse weeded. I already attempted to apply the graphics once and failed, I don't want to fail again. Has anyone attempted to apply a piece of dusted crystal this large before and how did you successfully complete it?

bigben

I just did a 48in X 25ft piece last friday. It's a 2 man job, but doable. In your case, if it's on acrylic, it should be relatively easy with a laminator.

Is it the acrylic in your shop or is this an on site install. I could understand on site being a PITA. If it's in your shop just use a laminator.

ADuke

I just did a 48in X 25ft piece last friday. It's a 2 man job, but doable. In your case, if it's on acrylic, it should be relatively easy with a laminator.
I wanted to do it with the laminator but my boss is worried about scratching the acrylic while it's going through the laminator since it is such a large piece. I have left the paper backing on the side we are not applying to but is that enough to protect it?

ADuke

Another question: does it make the install easier to not weed the graphic before applying it and then weed it once its applied? I'm thinking maybe it would help keep the masking paper stiff instead of wrinkling up where the graphic is weeded out. It's a simple graphic so there isn't a lot to weed...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Another question: does it make the install easier to not weed the graphic before applying it and then weed it once its applied? I'm thinking maybe it would help keep the masking paper stiff instead of wrinkling up where the graphic is weeded out. It's a simple graphic so there isn't a lot to weed...
Depending on the vinyl, that would be ok, but usually more headache trying to peel up and not leave adhesive behind, or worse, pulling up the wrong parts.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I wanted to do it with the laminator but my boss is worried about scratching the acrylic while it's going through the laminator since it is such a large piece. I have left the paper backing on the side we are not applying to but is that enough to protect it?
Peel paper off the side you apply to, leave the other side on. Pretty simple.

bigben

MacTac B-Free Dusted Crystal. Good stuff, air-release, dry install.

this product is very good. I use a similar version made by metamark. Also, the premask adhere better on the liner of those one because it's paper. If you are worried about scratching the acrylic, start by leaving the protection film on it and lay down some leftover backing paper on the table/support on both end of your laminator. It will help to slide and lower the risk of scratching.