• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4'x10 Acrylic Face

SALVATORE

I was wandering how much would you charge for a new 4'x 10' Acrylic with Digital print on it! it wont be Backlit? just normal digital print and laminated. any Help appreciated in Advanced.

Thanks!

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Why acrylic? PVC or ACM is cheaper and will do the same thing.

2B

what thickness of acrylic?
is it a flat face or pan face?
how many?

also with this being non-illuminated I would go with another substrate.

Billct2

Yep, no need for acrylic if it's not illuminated, but if they want to spend more money for the wrong product more power to them

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
4'x10 Acrylic Face
I was wandering how much would you charge for a new 4'x 10' Acrylic with Digital print on it! it wont be Backlit? just normal digital print and laminated. any Help appreciated in Advanced.Thanks!

I think I know and understand what this product is but I don't believe the OP does. Key word being "Face."

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yep, no need for acrylic if it's not illuminated, but if they want to spend more money for the wrong product more power to them

Lol, this came up a few weeks ago. Customer called and wanted me to quote 8x20 acrylic for a non-illuminated sign on a wall.. Whaa? I asked why acrylic? Well, someone at their office mounted some acrylic 2'x4' acrylic signs and thought that was a good material and so they called around town asking for bids on acrylic 8x20 Needless to say they called me because they were getting quotes north of 6 grand. I asked her did any of the other sign people question the use of acrylic or dig a little to find out more details on the project and present other options? "Nope" Well, needless to say being about half the cost I got the job and they were happy with the sign. I love my competition around here!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's called educating the customer. Asking a few key questions can get you more jobs than having a full-time salesperson on the road.

Knowing your trade and being able to communicate with people, goes a long way.

Kottwitz-Graphics

It's called educating the customer. Asking a few key questions can get you more jobs than having a full-time salesperson on the road.

Knowing your trade and being able to communicate with people, goes a long way.

This ^. Customers need us to direct them to the best material that is available, and a good customer will listen to your suggestions, and when they get it, you earn a customer for life.... But there are customers out there that think they know best, and will argue against years of experience. Those you just smile, and take their money, and don't expect to hear from again.

JTBoh

The only reason that acrylic should be used is if the guy wants to put lights in his box at a later date. Otherwise, your job to tell the customer what is best. They UUUUsually listen when you tell them it's cheaper anyway.

SALVATORE

It is funny! when you asked a question and you do not get Answered back, Except Bannertime read the post correct, I do Understand that there are some material more Affordable that other but sometime is good to keep your Eras and eyes on what Customer wants, if the want to pay for go ahead and keep Customer happy,Or if they looking for something Cheap I would understand.
Thanks anyway Guys!.

JTBoh

It is funny! when you asked a question and you do not get Answered back, Except Bannertime read the post correct, I do Understand that there are some material more Affordable that other but sometime is good to keep your Eras and eyes on what Customer wants, if the want to pay for go ahead and keep Customer happy,Or if they looking for something Cheap I would understand.
Thanks anyway Guys!.

Sorry that everyone who told you the best way to do it (with our... hundreds..? of years of combined experience) couldn't help you. Good luck with your acrylic pricing... kindly let us know if you get the job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess that whole thing just flew over your head, huh ??

I don't think anyone is scolding you because you are gonna do what the first knucklehead did, but most here are trying to help you, at least..... sound professional. If the only reason they want it is because that's what's there, then in my opinion, it would be your duty to at least explain the other options and why.

But, judging by what you wrote thus far, I can see where you're coming from.

Good Luck................​

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
All of the above except when the acrylic FACE is not backlit, when the sign maker knows not to laminate the acrylic FACE, when the sign maker knows the marketplace, when the sign maker knows that customers may drive their market, and then knows how to actually manufacture the product competitively or not, remembering all the while to continually educate himself and his company.

Attachments

• _MG_9553.jpg
    _MG_9553.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 272

bannertime

Figured people would go on that tangent. We all understand when you get those customers that declare certain specs. Why I didn't even both commenting on that until now. "I want mylar letters with the glue on the back to go on my back window, and I can just put them on individually or what?" or "I need the corrugated stuff to put in my cabinet sign because I'm not going to use the lights." Just two of the more recent ones I've heard. The best thing to do is say "this may not be the best or even proper way to do this. It would cost $$$$. However, if we use this substrate, with the same graphics, it'll only be $$$, and we could all rest assured that it would be done right."

Pat Whatley

All of the above except when the acrylic FACE is not backlit, when the sign maker knows not to laminate the acrylic FACE, when the sign maker knows the marketplace, when the sign maker knows that customers may drive their market, and then knows how to actually manufacture the product competitively or not, remembering all the while to continually educate himself and his company.

Why not laminate the face? We do it all the time for backlit signs and non-backlit signs on acrylic. Acrylic is a damn good substrate that isn't as prone to warping as 3mm ACM or PVC and routs to shape beautifully.

...and $700 on a new .177 acrylic face covered with laminated IJ40.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Why not laminate the face? We do it all the time for backlit signs and non-backlit signs on acrylic. Acrylic is a damn good substrate that isn't as prone to warping as 3mm ACM or PVC and routs to shape beautifully.

...and $700 on a new .177 acrylic face covered with laminated IJ40.

Pat,

Do you have the time to describe the layers of the product you've quoted? I think it's a very different product than the one I have in mind.

TIA.

SignEST

If it's outside don't use acrylic, it's brittle. Use polycarbonate instead and buy roll stock off your local supplier and get it cut to size, make sure you apply your print on the correct side as it does come with UV protection on one face. There's usually a text printed on it to indicate which side has the UV protection on so you don't mess up. It's also not going to snap in half when there's a little scratch on the face and you flex it. I personally did not touch or replace any huge acrylic sign faces, the biggest ones were the really old 30+ year 2' x 4' signs on some pylons but that's about it. It's all polycarbonate nowadays, it might be called some name brand(PALSUN) at your supplier so make sure you just ask about it and tell them what you want to use it for. That's the key part, they would know best.

It also makes transport a breeze. I can fold a 27' sign into the back of a pickup truck. The hanging strips stay on too. I'm not sure what they call those from other parts of the world, the polycarbonate strips you rivet and weld onto the top and bottom faces to ensure that it stays in the channel of your extrusion even during crazy wind storms. Have to account for a little expansion and shrinkage.