• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4'x4' signs hanging across snowmoible trail - need input!

nwexpressions

I have a customer who wants numerous 4'x4' signs (their design - I would have made them rectangular) that they will be hanging OVERHEAD on snowmobile trails. Their plan is to use heavy ropes or chains from the corners to posts on the sides of the trail.
I will be using laminated printed vinyl on the entire face - 2 sided. SO a little unsure of what substrate to use. They would like me to use something lighter than MDO. I thought Alumalite, but afraid it will be too light. So next thought is 3mm dibond. Not sure if this is rigid enough. for ONCE in my life, money is not a huge issue.
Thoughts?? Suggestions?? Thanks!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
More than likely, if you use to light a material the chains will chew their way right through the corners even with hangers. Rope will probalby eventually fray apart. As you get lighter in weight... the substrate at that size will become an even easier target for the lightest of winds. One big howling blizzard and they'll be history.

My question would be... what are the ropes or chains getting fastened to and how far do these have to reach ??

Also, is it just the top corners or all four corners ??

Double sided ??

Are these temporary or will they be used year after year ??

Are they high enough so no one will be decapitated in case they get airborn ??

Last and most important.... who is installing them ??

signmeup

This sounds like a recipe for disaster. My advice is to get the money up front. Also Make them sign a waiver absolving you of any blame should one of the signs come unattached.....or enough snow falls that they start banging their heads on the signs. I'm liking the foam rubber corner idea.

nwexpressions

As you all post, I am beginning to think I should re-direct them on their thoughts of overhead.
The plan was to attach to posts or trees (i know, i know) which would mean it would stretch out about 15 feet. These are 2 sided (entering/exiting) and THEY are installing. The plan is to use every winter for years to come. There are 6 locations.
These can't be on permanent posts as there are numerous land owners and many trails are used as roads in the summer. I am open for any ideas to present to them.
Thanks all!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You might want to install a yard arm type post with large eyehooks and little on no chain into sign hangers at the top of sign. At the bottom of the sign you want to use another sign hanger, but on a 90 degree angle and insert a chain to the post so it can swing without complete restriction and yet let air move past. I would also use ¾” MDO for stability because aluminum at that thickness is bound to bend.

Making these posts temporary will be your biggest hurdle. I would either make a sled base and spike it with a removable sleeve or just dig 'em in and out year after year. No, just kidding about that, but you could cement a sleeve into the ground and when not in use put a cap on it and make sure it fits about 5' or 6' into your upright.

BobM

Signs hanging from chains will self destruct in a relativily short time no matter what substrate you use. The wind will whip, snap, and throw the signs against the eyes/loops/holders. Try using a simple 1/4" X 1-1/2" flat bar to make the connection. The shorter the conection bar the better. One hinge point on a cross bar, substrate sandwiched between the flat bar hinge and a matching backer bar. It is unrealistic to think a 15' chain or rope connection will work especially in winter conditions.

Malkin

This project is just simply not feasible the way your client envisions it. At best the signs will eventually wear out and fall down. At worst, they will kill somebody. I would rather not see that on the news.

Gino's suggestion was pretty good. I would tell them to go with something like that or go back to the drawing board.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
change their mind to something that will not only work, but won't kill anybody. like a 2' x 8' banner, made out of the heaviest shit you can find,with seatbelt webbing sewn all around.

heavy rope from tree to tree, with the banner attached to the rope would work,

they just might get an entire season out of them....

Patrick46

I might have an idea...
what about 10mm coroplast??? (I think that's what the heavy mil corrigated plastic sheets are called)
I've been using this out here because the wind blows so hard off the ocean, and I think this would work great for this application. It's light enough to hang easily, and is durable enough to last for many seasons. It won't rot, and is easy to work with.
just my 2c

Damn I miss snowmobiles :(

mark in tx

Solid substrate sounds like a bad idea in that circumstance, just because of the mounting plan.
A mesh banner would probably work best.

signgal

As soon as you let them know this is not the way you recommend doing the project and accept no responsibility for making the signs and installing them to your customers specifications, they'll probably listen to reason.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
A mesh banner would probably work best.

i thought about that, but the snow and winds here in niagara falls would rip that to shit, i can only imagine what it's like in moosehead lake, maine...

go with the heaviest banner material you can find

Larry L

I use .08 aluminum and add flattened stainless hangers with all ss hardware. Grimco can lazier cut any vector shape into the aluminum.

dlndesign

Whats the main reason these signs need to hang in the air? Is it because the entire area below is traveled on? If not and if there is an area that is not traveled on why not aluminum signs in a aluminum sign frame that has stakes that can be pushed into the ground? That way they are removable for re-use and they can hold up better. my 2 cents.