• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

5 Ft X 20ft Banners Installed On Plywood

Angela

Hello,
I am looking for guidance on banner installation. My customer is wanting 5ft x 20ft banners. My thought was to get two 5ft x 10ft pieces of MDO installed with posts and wrap the banners around. I thought was a pretty good idea until I told my project manager and he told me that it was suuuuper hard to do. I could understand that it is not very easy but not impossible either. Do any of you have any experience with this type of installation? If so it is as difficult as he makes it sound? Any guidance/suggestion or horror stories would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

henryz

I would recommend using something like omega board and apply digital vinyl or what is the reason for doing a banner unless you are thinking of changing it out often if that would be the case then might consider putting a banner track system.

TXFB.INS

I would recommend using something like omega board and apply digital vinyl or what is the reason for doing a banner unless you are thinking of changing it out often if that would be the case then might consider putting a banner track system.

this and there is also the banner tension system if the graphics are changed out often.
Will look better applying the graphics to a rigid substrate

If you are looking for a cheap installation option, don't bother with MDO. Go to Lowe's and get cheap framing plywood then mount the banner to that

Angela

I would recommend using something like omega board and apply digital vinyl or what is the reason for doing a banner unless you are thinking of changing it out often if that would be the case then might consider putting a banner track system.[/QUO
this and there is also the banner tension system if the graphics are changed out often.
Will look better applying the graphics to a rigid substrate

If you are looking for a cheap installation option, don't bother with MDO. Go to Lowe's and get cheap framing plywood then mount the banner to that

thank you for your input. When you say banner tension system, where should I look

Johnny Best

Digging in posts, applying 5'x10' MDO to posts, hanging and attachment of banner. Where are these going, is there ground to dig in, construction site, etc. need more information. The project manager is probably your go to guy on this project and is looking for a better idea. Since you want MDO why not flatbed print them. But to give a better idea to you there are a lot of variables that need to be known.

Angela

Digging in posts, applying 5'x10' MDO to posts, hanging and attachment of banner. Where are these going, is there ground to dig in, construction site, etc. need more information. The project manager is probably your go to guy on this project and is looking for a better idea. Since you want MDO why not flatbed print them. But to give a better idea to you there are a lot of variables that need to be known.

Well yes there is ground that they will be dug into. I am not und

Angela

Digging in posts, applying 5'x10' MDO to posts, hanging and attachment of banner."] Yes the post are in the ground and I am asking about applying 5x10 MDO's to posts, hanging and attaching a banner, is why I posted this thread. I do not understand why it matters if it is a construction site or not? The project manager is the one who called me. As for flat bed, I am not a fan of flat be printing on something this size.

Johnny Best

So your only problem it seems is the project manager does not like your idea, says it is to super hard to do with the 5x10s and posts.
Sounds like you need more than one banner because you mentioned "banners".
I like the 5x10 plywood wall for the banner, you have to attach them to something, and unless there is no large posts, trees, lightposts to stretch them from, there does not seem to be an alternative unless someone on here comes up with a great idea.

And I have no idea either what a "und" (post#6) is.

Billct2

I don't think she "und"erstands. And neither do I.
If an installation requires posts & plywood why bother with the banner? Just make the plywood the sign.
Banners usually mean "cheap and temporary" (not always but usually), so if the client want a 5'x10' temporary sign where there is
nothing to attach it to, forget the banner and do a temporary site sign. Posts with 2"x4" stringers and coroplast is one option.

Angela

Ohhhhh I see, it is not the project manager that doesn't like the idea, it is myyyyy production manager that doesn't like the idea. I was wondering why you were saying that, now I get it.

As I said before I am not a fan of flat bed printing on something that big. I had my sign installer come in and we brain stormed about how to do the banners as I have it thought out in my mind. As long as I can get the banners nice and taught around the frame I should be good, maybe :/

I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me. Thanks so much!!!

Angela

I don't think she "und"erstands. And neither do I.
If an installation requires posts & plywood why bother with the banner? Because in my opinion 5ft x 20ft is yuge, and getting it all lined up properly is going to be a lot more difficult than setting up two 5x10's side by side on post and getting a good stretch on the banner making it nice and taught with a full wrap to the back of the wood, allowing my customer the option to change up the banners in a couple years and a substantial savings. Just make the plywood the sign.
Banners usually mean "cheap and temporary" (not always but usually), This will be on the not always side. so if the client want a 5'x10' temporary sign where there is
nothing to attach it to, forget the banner and do a temporary site sign. This is not a temporary sign. Posts with 2"x4" stringers and coroplast is one option.[/QUO

Thanks so much for your advice :) Any more is always appreciated

rossmosh

Put in posts. Screw 2x4 cross beams. Apply Banner. If you don't want it to look like a banner and have expectations for the banner to be as tight as a piano string, I think you should ditch the banner idea and go with solid panels. 5x10 ACM is likely the better choice than heavy plywood.

Also, don't reply to a post in a quote. Quote. Reply below.

printhog

in the billboard world we have hurricane frames (the hurricane wind frame system), and in my shop we often make similar frames for various clients needs. The attached photo is an 8x10 flat built that way for a tv station years ago (and me hamming the camera). easily changeable with a new banner..
(c)mega1.jpg

youre basically making a hollow framework that tensions the banner over it. with pole pockets on all four sides, and a bleed fo 6 inches, you can pull the fabric taught over the frame with ratchets straps and poles in the pole pockets.

One more, an entire store of these frames at 6'x24' for a pet store. theyre lightweight aluminum .065" wall square tube with banner tensioned over face.
00035.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why are you mounting a banner to a solid substrate ?? This makes absolutely no sense. According to where and how you are installing the post mechanism, there is no real good answer for you.

No matter how you perceive it in your head, you are either mounting a solid sign on posts or a banner between two posts/uprights. Your boss is correct, but not because it's too difficult, but because it is a worthless idea, unless you just like spending lots of your customer's money for nothing.

Hello,
I am looking for guidance on banner installation. My customer is wanting 5ft x 20ft banners. My thought was to get two 5ft x 10ft pieces of MDO installed with posts and wrap the banners around. I thought was a pretty good idea until I told
my project manager and he told me that it was suuuuper hard to do. I could understand that it is not very easy but not impossible either. Do any of you have any experience with this type of installation? If so it is as difficult as he makes it sound? Any guidance/suggestion or horror stories would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
:)

Ohhhhh I see, it is not the project manager that doesn't like the idea, it is myyyyy production manager that doesn't like the idea. I was wondering why you were saying that, now I get it.

As I said before I am not a fan of flat bed printing on something that big. I had my sign installer come in and we brain stormed about how to do the banners as I have it thought out in my mind. As long as I can get the banners nice and taught around the frame I should be good, maybe :/

I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me. Thanks so much!!!

Also, if this is how you get your point across, perhaps that is why your boss is not liking your idea.

Last edited:

Pat Whatley

Not that big of a deal, your project manager just doesn't want to deal with it.

When you build the sign screw 2x4 lumber onto the back side of the plywood flush with the edges all the way around. This gives you something to screw the banner into a whole lot easier. Finish your banner out at 62" with grommets every couple of feet. When you install attach two screws in the top center. Then attach the two directly below in the bottom center. Move to the far right, stretch the banner and put a screw in the center, then do the same on the far left. Go back to the middle, do the next couple of screws, then bottom , left, right. All you're trying to do is get tension through the middle then work it out toward the corners. If you try screwing in one end and working your way across you'll end up with a jacked up mess before you're done.