• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question 52" foot shear

shacho

I have been doing a lot of .080 aluminum signs lately so i figure its about time i get my own shear. I have been doing a lot of looking and everyone says don't buy cheap stuff. I agree with this. Has anyone cut .080 5052 H38 aluminum with a 52" foot shear? Does anybody have any recommendations on brands and where to buy in Canada?

shacho

In addition to my first post I was thinking its not only aluminum I could cut. Could I also cut my Dibond, Sintra, Coroplast etc.. with this. Has any ever cut this type of material with a foot sheet or would it ruin the edges?

Brandon708

Cutting .080 is possible with a 52" foot shear. I have one a cut dibond, .040 aluminum on it all the time. Although I don't really like cutting .080 because it is harder and you really have to get on the shear with a lot of force and i'm about 225 pounds. I have a Northern Industrial Foot Shear.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In my experience, .040" cuts like butter, .063 will cut but with a lot of effort needed and .080 is too much to expect. Cutting Dibond is easy enough but because cutting is done at a small angle of about 3 degrees, you end up with a very sharp edge that may need hand finishing to be handled safely. We also found our shear to be very handy for cutting coroplast.

shacho

just so everybody knows. I ended up buying a 52" tennsmith and it cuts the .080. you have to step on it a couple of times but it not realy that hard.

thanks for the input from everybody