Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64" printer upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Kurse, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Kurse

Kurse New Member

May 25, 2015
    portugal
    Hi All,

For the past 3 years we have a Roland XR-640 and it has been very good to us.
    In this competitive market we are always looking for ways to be ahead of our competition.
    And now we are looking for a new printer as it seems like everybody around us has also a Roland.
    We print about almost anything from little sticker to full bus wraps.

My question, is there any new printer that can replace our roland and give us an advantage over our competition?

Thank you

Tags:
  2. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Yes, an HP Latex. You can do some really cool and unique materials that you cannot do with other machines like the Roland. You will be able to produce your graphics faster than your competition, a whole day faster in some applications!

With the HP Latex you can do natural fiber fabrics like cottons and linens also. (Check out DuraVibe Fabrics)

3. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    Yeah for speed id say hp latex, for gamut id go with a newer epson. the colors and clarity ive seen on those is bananas. Latex is great though as bigfish said everything has its place imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MachServTech

MachServTech Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    I second this exactly. Latex for versatility and Epson for Gamut and Resolution.

5. Kurse

Kurse New Member

May 25, 2015
    portugal
    Thank You Bigfish

In my research I found the latex has many benefits.
    But they seem to need high temperatures to work and it will cause problems in some types of vinyl.
    Don't know how much could this be a problem to us.

6. Kurse

Kurse New Member

May 25, 2015
    portugal

I really like the Epson reviews.
    Good quality with good colors. It would give an advantage over Rolands. But it seem the ink is easily scratched.
    And we don´t want to laminate all our jobs as it will increase prices.

But still it looks like a really good printer.

We were also looking at the Mimaki UCJV series. But around here Mimaki have a bad reputation for whatever reason.

7. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You will not have any problems running anything in your latex machine. Whatever you think you will have an issue with let me know. I have nothing to gain out of this at all financially. The old models gave off a lot of heat and had issues with a very select few materials, that is all in the past and with their current lineup you will not have any problems running the biggest brands out there.

8. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I love our HP Latex560. We run 8 mil paper through it no problem, so any material will be fine.

9. Carlos Valencia

Carlos Valencia Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas Tx
    Hi, go with Hp Latex. They're the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019
  10. printguyjohn

printguyjohn New Member

Feb 9, 2019
    USA
    I wish my rep would of told me about Magnetic material though. HP Latex 560/570 and magnetic materials are basically a non-starter. At least for a production shop doing hundreds per month....

11. Tattoosleeve

Tattoosleeve Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Prince George
    We bought an Epson S60600 to replace two Epson S30's. The speed is ridiculous. Even on our S30's we often printed and laminated same day without any failures. The new Ultrachrome inks are claiming a 6hr dry time so you can print in the morning and laminate in the afternoon so there is no reason to be concerned about dry time at all. Scratch resistance may be a factor if you do unlaminated a lot like you say. We laminate every single job in our shop so the latex doesn't have that much draw power for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    If you can only have one printer, an HP latex.
    If you can, get an Epson too.

13. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Who's magnetic have you tried so far?

14. Kurse

Kurse New Member

May 25, 2015
    portugal
    Thank You very much for you recommendations.
    I will check out the HP latex to see if it gives us an advantage over our current machine.
    I am not sure if the quality is as good as our roland.