• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6mm diebond machining tips

612 SIGNS

Happy Thanksgiving!

We are machining 6mm diebond with a 6'x10' vacuum CNC.
The parts are large and ornate, machining time is about 45 mins per part, 70 total.

The problem is that the plastic burrs stick to the profile after machining and need to removed manually; it take about 30 min to clean each part.

We have tried a 3/16" single and double flute bit, up and straight cut. As well as 1/8" bits, same configuration.

At 18K rpm, speeds vary from:
  • 70 inc/min for the single 1/8"
  • 120 inc/min for the double 1/8"
  • 95 inc/min for the single 3/16"
  • 150 inc/min for the double 3/16"

We are using a manual deburring tool currently. There must be a better way!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

W

spectrum maine

i use a bit for machining aluminum - onsrud. when it is sharp it cuts perfect, dull, not so perfect. onsrud 51408. if you are using home depot bits that is the problem. you get what you pay for. also increase feed rate - make chips not dust

612 SIGNS

upload_2017-11-23_12-14-35.png

Also I use high quality Vortex tools, sharp ( new in fact)

I do not find your tool, can you help?

What feed rate do you use?
W

GVP

I've found the direction of the cut, i.e. climb versus conventional, can make a difference as to which side of the kerf the chips stick to. We cut ACP using straight cut bits and cut shapes out using climb cuts

astro8

Climb cut with a single flute down cut bit, run as fast as you like...the 'chips' will be stuck to the waste material. I'd like to use a 6mm or 1/4" bit on 6mm Dibond.

alevit53

We use o-flute aluminum bits from Onsrud or Amana and they work great. We climb cut and run at 18K at about 100 in/min.
If you are experiencing the chips getting "welded" to the bit you are probably going too slow and building up too much heat.

spectrum maine

go faster, the chips should look like chunks. if the chips are dust- too slow. use apieceof scrap held down right go real fast - with the right bit & spindle speed wide open you should be able to go suprisingly fast. i can cut 40 letters out of a 5 by 10 in less than 1/2 hr. go until you get a chattered edge then slow it a little. a vortex tube or a blast of air will drastically reduce melt problems.

Brian Guthrie

I am assuming you are using forced air at the cut point???? This with an o-flute @ a minimum of 150 in/min seems to cut very clean with minimal clean-up after. (Except of course the statically charged chips that fly everywhere eve with dust collection.