• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6mm PVC or 3mm ACM for hanging sign?

jman

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to really bump up work flow with outsourcing as many jobs as possible so I can be out there selling jobs more through Signs 365. Now normally I'd use MDO and seal the edges for example for a hanging sign but no wholesale offers that so for a 2x2 ft hanging sign would you do 6mm pvc or 3mm acm?

Sign will be hanging off a pvc yard arm post setup.

Thanks in advance

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is this outdoor or indoors? I would check to make sure hanging signs are legal in your area. I don't offer hanging signs... I'm confused as to what a PVC yard arm post is though o_O

jman

Outdoors and yes. Replacing with new tenants sign.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216-213015_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190216-213015_Chrome.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 294

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Outdoors and yes. Replacing with new tenants sign.

Ooohhhhh OK...Those things. That makes sense now. 3mm ACM I think would be too weak... Not digging the PVC idea. Have you thought about 6mm ACM? That's what I use and it's a good replacement for wood in terms of sturdiness. S365 doesn't offer it, you'd have to order the vinyl from them and apply it to a 6mm board yourself. The 6mm ACM cuts easily with a utility knife and straight edge.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
3mm is just fine. Use for just this sort of thing all the time. Strength has nothing to do with anything, it just hangs there.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
3mm should work, but not the pvc, not at all, especially, if you're from the northeast. However, the .063 is you best bang for the buck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's what a loose chain is for.

I just don't know why the OP can't do this in-house ?? Afterall, it takes maybe 10 minutes to run these two sides on a 30"...... or 5 minutes on a 54". How many cheap little signs do you wanna run after to get so many, that you need to farm tnem out ?? If you landed a job where they needed 50 of these at a pop, perhaps just give them a decent time frame and make all the money for yourself.

jman

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to go 6mm acm and do them in house.

The customer is getting 4 other signs all various sizes going onto their building and or parking lot posts.

No big deal doing them in house I just was trying to work smarter not harder since I am a one man show and wanted to do more door to door marketing than having a bottleneck.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to go 6mm acm and do them in house.

The customer is getting 4 other signs all various sizes going onto their building and or parking lot posts.

No big deal doing them in house I just was trying to work smarter not harder since I am a one man show and wanted to do more door to door marketing than having a bottleneck.

I feel ya, I'm a one man show as well and we only have so many hours in a day... so getting finished (or nearly finished) product in hand without spending too much time on low-level production is key.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are honest with yourself and your customer..... give you and your customer a realistic turnaround and all should end well for both of you. You'll still have time to go out and pound the streets.

What size is your printer and what size are the other four signs ??