• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

720 720 4 pass vs 360 540 6 pass

gabagoo

720 720 4 pass vs 360 540 6 pass... which one will print better on jv3 130 spII. I know many shops run their jobs much faster than me, but when I try to run 4 pass 720 x 720 blues and greens somehow print streaky. It's alarming because I don't have time to wait for 8 passes unidirectional. I have toyed around with the media compensation, but I have it as good as it will get. I just would like to know that I am not alone with this type of issue. My concern is more with looking closely at the print, even though it is being put on 1/2" high core and seen from a distance, the guy paying for it will be viewing it from about 2 feet or closer before he pays me lol.

What to do for future runs?

Letterbox Mike

We get pretty darn good results on 720x720 4-pass bidir, we print all banners and most signs that will be viewed from a distance at that. On some blues, purples or red shades we can get the streaking issue too, but I think it's more a function of that wierd epson head anomaly/ink starvation-looking problem than having much relation to passes or speed because I have also seen it (albeit less frequently) at 8-pass or 16-pass.

thewood

I mainly use 360x720 8 pass bi-di with fantastic results. Every now and again, I'll kick it up to 720x720 8 pass bid-di for really small detail or art repro-type stuff. Running Flexi RIP, btw.

eforer

For banner production we'll use 360X360 8 pass a lot. The scans at 360 are faster and the extra passes (vs 6 or 4) minimize visible banding/streaking issues.

gabagoo

We get pretty darn good results on 720x720 4-pass bidir, we print all banners and most signs that will be viewed from a distance at that. On some blues, purples or red shades we can get the streaking issue too, but I think it's more a function of that wierd epson head anomaly/ink starvation-looking problem than having much relation to passes or speed because I have also seen it (albeit less frequently) at 8-pass or 16-pass.

I guess thats the problem...the Epson head... We just have to live with it I guess, although like I said I really only see it in the lighter blues and teals mostly... Blacks always print great!~!!

WB

you know what I'm running .. I hardly ever go up to the 720.. Did alot today on the 360-540 var dot 3 pass. 5 4x8' in about 2 hrs. even high res files I find will look good in 3 pass as long as there's not large areas of solid colour

gabagoo

I do a lot more solid colour work and that is where the issues show the most. Tried the 360 x 720 with good results. If I use that I will assume I use less ink? if this were true how much over the course of time would you really save?