• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 789 printheads? Know anyone who has one?

MrTopgun21

Last week I was printing a large logo, everything was printing perfectly. After the print I went to send something else to my L25500 and it stopped and gave me a message to reseat the printhead. OK, I've been through this before, normally I clean the contacts, reseat the head and I'm in business. NOT this time.

No matter what I try the printer won't accept the #2 cyan/light cyan head. I swapped the heads, the problem changes to the #1 slot and back again.

So I tried finding a new head, none of my suppliers have them (thanks HP) and one dude on Fleabay had one, and without reason cancelled my order (at least I didn't get charged)

Anyone know someone who has a cyan printhead?

ikarasu

There's tons of 789 printheads on eBay. They're Chinese made ones.. but since the printers obsolete now you may have to settle for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-fast-fo...828442?hash=item3b2e3d209a:g:Ke0AAOSw4Ohcjtyv 3 heads for $100 two weeks shipping... Not too bad. Doesn't help you right now.. but id stock up on a few to prevent this from happening again if you plan on keeping the printer long term.

There's one in my Craigslist for Vancouver BC... Have you checked yours?

MrTopgun21

There's tons of 789 printheads on eBay. They're Chinese made ones.. but since the printers obsolete now you may have to settle for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-fast-fo...828442?hash=item3b2e3d209a:g:Ke0AAOSw4Ohcjtyv 3 heads for $100 two weeks shipping... Not too bad. Doesn't help you right now.. but id stock up on a few to prevent this from happening again if you plan on keeping the printer long term.

There's one in my Craigslist for Vancouver BC... Have you checked yours?
Yeah I saw the Chinese heads on Ebay will probably order some, they're cheap enough. I didn't check CL that's a good idea. Thanks for the ideas :)

Carl Mayhew

Last week I was printing a large logo, everything was printing perfectly. After the print I went to send something else to my L25500 and it stopped and gave me a message to reseat the printhead. OK, I've been through this before, normally I clean the contacts, reseat the head and I'm in business. NOT this time.

No matter what I try the printer won't accept the #2 cyan/light cyan head. I swapped the heads, the problem changes to the #1 slot and back again.

So I tried finding a new head, none of my suppliers have them (thanks HP) and one dude on Fleabay had one, and without reason cancelled my order (at least I didn't get charged)

Anyone know someone who has a cyan printhead?
Some of the print heads from China work and some don't so you will have to order extra ones. I had the exact same problem with my L25500- very frustrating!

bannertime

I was under the impression that those series of heads and inks were being discontinued. I can't remember exactly what the details were and I've heard conflicting statements. Originally heard it from a Grimco rep who confirmed it with HP? Then someone said it was just an older series of ink that had been replaced. Not sure either way, but it's definitely something to be aware of when buying a HP machine older than a few years.

flyplainsdrifta

I was under the impression that those series of heads and inks were being discontinued. I can't remember exactly what the details were and I've heard conflicting statements. Originally heard it from a Grimco rep who confirmed it with HP? Then someone said it was just an older series of ink that had been replaced. Not sure either way, but it's definitely something to be aware of when buying a HP machine older than a few years.

you are correct sir. at this point i wouldnt touch anything older than a 300 series and at the rate theyre dropping new machines, that may be moot in 3 years. its a solid bummer they use the EOL to push shops into buying newer machines when their machine works and runs just fine.

C

ColoPrinthead

I have 4 Y/Ks which happen to be the only color I can get from the one vendor I buy from . .
Damn Latex

ikarasu

Isn't it a 9 year old printer? I know it sucks when something is end of life. But there's probably very few people still using working ones... So it doesn't make.sense for HP to continue supporting it.

Right now all their new printers use the same ink... The first set of latex was a different ink formula. Right now so long as all the printers use the same generation of ink..you can expect to get ink and heads for 8-10 years+. Now if they come out with a new formula and start using that formula... You'll be in the same boat. But I don't think 10 years of support, then ending it is all that bad... how many people realistically run a 10 year old printer? Technology changes so much... I'm sure the printer that came out 5 years ago printed way better than the L25500 does... And the ones out today print 5x better.

Edited to fix typos... I was typing on my phone! But yeah. I see lots of people bashing HP for ending support, saying this is why they don't buy their printers... How many other companies can release a printer that'll last 10 years? I don't think it's unreasonable. I'd be happy to get 10 years out of my current printer!

Last edited:

MrTopgun21

Isn't it a 9 year old printer? I know it sucks when something is end of life. But there's probably very few people still using working ones... So it doesn't make.sense for HP to continue supporting it.

Right now all their new printers use the same ink... The first set of latex was a different ink formula. Right now so long as all the printers use the same generation of ink..you can expect to get ink and heads for 8-10 years+. Now if they come out with a new formula and start using that formula... You'll be in the same boat. But I don't think 10 years of support, then ending it is all that bad... how many people realistically run a 10 year old printer? Technology changes so much... I'm sure the printer that came out 5 years ago printed way better than the L25500 does... And the ones out today print 5x better.

Edited to fix typos... I was typing on my phone! But yeah. I see lots of people bashing HP for ending support, saying this is why they don't buy their printers... How many other companies can release a printer that'll last 10 years? I don't think it's unreasonable. I'd be happy to get 10 years out of my current printer!

I totally agree with you, I bought this printer used and got 4 years out of it, so it definitely doesn't owe me anything, it's just frustrating when something sudden happens and I can't find parts. And I have work stacked up. So I just need to nurse this along to buy me time for me to figure out what my next plan is. I'm a small shop so huge volume isn't in our wheelhouse, so cost of these new machines definitely is a factor.

ikarasu

If you like Latex... They build a version for every use.

For $7000, you can get the 115 - Which will allow you to print 129 SQFT an hour - 8x 129 = 1032 SQFT.. roughly 2 full rolls on indoor quality prints.

I'd go with the one that takes more ink though. I have a 110 at my house for when I need to do rush jobs / stuff I dont want to run into the shop for... My only regret is no OMAS on it and small ink tanks. Wish I got a 315 instead!