• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

8.1v1 on Windows 7?

Ken1f

I think my 5 year old Dell has just about had it and I would like to replace it but I don't know if this version of Flexi-Pro (8.1v1) will run on the newer Windows 7 machines. If not, is it possible to put Windows XP on a newer Windows 7 machine? Dell's help line told me that the 7 ultimate verison would work but I would like to know for sure before purchasing one. I wrote to SAI but haven't had any response.

CS-SignSupply

If you go with Win7, you must get Win7 Professional or Ultimate.

As for 'Will it work?'... you will get several answers to this question here... yes and no and maybe

Flexi 8.1v1 is not supported on the Windows 7 platform. However, you will get responses from S101 users that are working with 8.1 on Win7. You can get support from members here but getting support from SAI or a dealer is not likely.

The only version officially supported on WIN 7 is Flexi 10.x

You can upgrade your software but it will cost you about $650 (List $795).

Unfortunately, you are taking a small risk getting Win7 computer without the budget for upgrading your software as well.

My answer on getting it to work is Maybe. I have seen many instances that work and don't work...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yup.... hit and miss - might work might not. Actually I think 8.6 is "officially" recognized as compatable but thats not an option as upgrades to anything less than 10.x are not available anymore.

That being said - if you have a Windows XP install disc - yes it will run fine on a newer computer but you may have to jump through a couple hoops to load mass storage drivers during the very start of the install.

round man

the primary problem most people encounter with an upgrade to a machine with win 7 on it are the 64 bit drivers for their output devices,...most software vendors bundle the expense to write 64 bit drivers with an upgrade to justify their cost of writing new drivers,......32 bit versions of windows 7 will run just about any software that will run on a 32 bit version of xp without any problems,...the problem here is a majority of the newer chips are made for 64 bit hardware thus they use a whole different range of addresses for the drivers to the hardware and there aren't 32 bit drivers for some of the newer hardware,thus the manufacturers load 64 bit versions of win 7,....

Ken1f

Thanks for the info. I decided rather than go thru all the trouble of getting a new computer and hoping that I could get it to work I just bought a new hard drive and reinstalled all my existing software on it. Fortunally I was able to run the old drive in safe mode to get the needed files off it. Most were on another drive but I still had some current ones on the desktop. Should be up and running soon.

Thanks again.
Ken