• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A chance to make a banner! Need a favor

hightop

Hi all! My church is having a Christmas cantata and I am going to ask them if I can do a banner for them. Please remember I have never done this before and I realize COMPLETELY that it isn't as easy as cutting out some letters and slapping them on a banner. (Well, it is for those of you who have experience! :notworthy:) When I bought the cutter, the guy who sold it to me threw in all the banners (5-6), yard signs (a doz.), etc. that he had.

Making a banner for church might be a good way to learn by doing. (And figure the church would be forgiving! bahaha!) They weren't planning to get a banner and I won't charge them anyway.
When I finish, will you score my self-test and let me know what you think so I don't put a crappy looking piece of junk in front of my church? I am REALLY not looking for anyone to tell me how to do what took you years to learn! Just an honest opinion of "hang it out there" or "roll it up and put it away" will do fine.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I think it's safe to say everyone here will be happy to provide an honest opinion. So go for it!

Fitch

I suggest you post the ARTWORK on here BEFORE you go cutting vinyl and sticking it onto a banner.

Cheers - G

hightop

Thanks to you both! Fitch, will do. That will be part of the learning process. I had best get on the ball since the performance is on 12/12 and I have a day job that takes up WAY too much of my time.

zmatalucci

With all the help available here, there's no excuse as to why you could not produce a professional looking banner AND BE ABLE TO CHARGE FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!
It's a church, I understand. So if you feel so inclined, offer it to them at a reduced rate.
As of late, the churches have more money then us

hightop

OK, so I had to laugh at myself (and jiarby's post!) After re-reading, I realized I had practically made my first flashing neon sign that said, "I'M A NEWBIE!" :doh: I'll still go ahead with my plan and see how it turns out, artwork first, of course. Good way to learn what to do (and what NOT to do!) Nothing to lose but some of that precious time...and some vinyl, right? Thanks again for the reality check, guys! This is a cool site to hang out.
G'night!

jiarby

As cheap as you can buy a printed banner from a wholesaler I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble of cutting, weeding, masking, mounting a cut vinyl one.

Your labor (both design & production) is the biggest cost of a banner job... the material is, well, immaterial!!

Keep track of how long you work on this banner... including designing, proofs, revisions, production (cutting, weeding, masking, mounting), packaging, delivery, invoicing, etc...

Use whatever you think your business shop rate is.

Let us know how long it takes you.

CheapVehicleWrap

I realize you may initially think "What's the point?", but why not sell them the idea of wrapping the steeple? But who am I? Just Pat.

Jillbeans

I beg to differ about cut vynull banners looking like crap.
Mine look nice.
If I want some extra effects I get an enamel-ready banner and paint them.
I'd rather see a consise, simple, elegant style for a chuch cantata than a bunch of creepy glowing Jesus rainbow carbon filled effects on a printed banner.
Post up your layout so we can help you rearrange the furniture so to speak.
With some help from old timers even a newbie can usually produce a nice finished banner.
Love....Jill

BobM

I beg to differ about cut vynull banners looking like crap.
Mine look nice.
If I want some extra effects I get an enamel-ready banner and paint them.
I'd rather see a consise, simple, elegant style for a chuch cantata than a bunch of creepy glowing Jesus rainbow carbon filled effects on a printed banner.
Post up your layout so we can help you rearrange the furniture so to speak.
With some help from old timers even a newbie can usually produce a nice finished banner.
Love....Jill

+1

hightop

Well, I finally figured out the software enough to put this together. The banner will be 2ft. by 10 ft. Please let me know what you think. Thanks, all!

Attachments

• banner.jpg
    banner.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 73

AUTO-FX

That's not bad. I'm not sure if it's "proper" but I would capitalize "us" and i would adjust the spacing on the "dec. 12". Also maybe make the graphic in the center just a little more interesting to look at - but dont over do it. If you really want to go for it, use some drop shadows. very light grey. That's my 2 - have a great day!

hightop

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give that a try. (just picturing myself doing this big banner and having my bottom lip stuck to my forehead with vinyl!!!):ROFLMAO:

skyhigh

Not bad.

just remember, having your bottom lip stuck to your forehead, is alot better than having your eyelids stuck to your chin.

Jillbeans

I like how you used the star to separate the info.
But...
I would not put celebrate on there twice, try "Join Us"
There really is no focal point beside the star, we see text but nothing is emphasized.
I don't like to abbreviate on things if I can avoid it, either.
Here's a very quick suggestion.
On a big banner I try to break it up into panels whenever I can.
And adding even just one more color can help.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 67

hightop

WOW! I like that, Jill!! Great suggestions. Amazing what a difference "the little things" make in the look! Skyhigh - I am not ruling out eyelids stuck to chin as a possibility, either! LOL!

Travis Stanley

This is a simple 1-color banner that I donated to a local church. It's a great way to help grow your busniess.

Attachments

• Lords prayer banner.jpg
    Lords prayer banner.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 79

AUTO-FX

here's an example of what you can do just by adding a second color.

oop- jill beat me to it!

Attachments

• church banner.jpg
    church banner.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 80

hightop

Auto-FX - I really like that, too! Again, just a small change makes a big difference. I REALLY appreciate you all helping with this project. Now the hard part is deciding what I can do with the software and then what I can do after the cutting is done. For me, these are fun challenges to have.

Travis - Very nice banner! I'll bet that took some TIME!!