• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A Drawing I Did Please Critique

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Please critique this drawing I rendered. It was done with Corel Draw

Attachments

• koo koo roo torance.pdf
    805.9 KB · Views: 616

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The perspective of the sign does not match the perspective in the photo, if you think that would matter.

Otherwise, its a pretty good mockup.

Big Rice Field

Strange, I made a vanishing point with guidelines in Corel Draw and used the perspective tool to do the extrusion. I will have to recheck it thanks

Johnny Best

How come on the side view sheet 3-4 you do not show the channel letter thickness sticking out on the pylon.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
From a guy who's worked in design and production, here's what I'd be asking you:
Graphics department:
- What color(s) vinyl are we using (never leave it up to the production staff to choose or you end up with no leg to stand on when the customer says "that's not the right red/yellow/whatever")?
CNC department:
- What thickness aluminum for the channel letter backers (yes, there are usually standards, but when they aren't noted, it's a red flag)?
- What thickness acrylic for the channel letter faces (again, standards)?
- What color red acrylic for the channel letters (again, make the customer choose)?
- What thickness aluminum for the routed faces of the monuments (again, standards)?
- What thickness acrylic for the routed faces of the monuments (again, standards)?
Fabrication department:
- What do you want the frame of the monument built from? Angle? Tubing? Aluminum? Steel?
- Do the monuments mount to existing poles, or do they need their own? If existing, does it need sleeves or plate mounting? If new, what size (normally based on wind load requirements)?
- What thickness aluminum for the routed faces of the monuments (again, standards)?
Installation department: Not always included on drawings, but definitely something to be addressed (preferably by the salesperson or your job manager so the info is included)
- What do we need to install the channel letters: Ladders? Scissor lift? Boom lift? Crane? It would be helpful if you mocked up the channel letters at their install locations so that could be addressed.
- What are we going to have to do/what equipment do we need to install the monuments: Dig? Set steel? Do we need utilities marked? Are we going to have to bust up the sidewalk? Is there power run to the sites or will it require additional trips after the signs are installed.

My .02.

Big Rice Field

The drawing is presentation art and meant for the bidding process. Details such as Trimcap brand, paint colors, type of LEDs and florescent lamps are added as the drawing becomes an internal shop drawing. Finally the drawing is revised to be a permit drawing.....and after that if required a completion drawing.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
The drawing is presentation art and meant for the bidding process. Details such as Trimcap brand, paint colors, type of LEDs and florescent lamps are added as the drawing becomes an internal shop drawing. Finally the drawing is revised to be a permit drawing.....and after that if required a completion drawing.
The presentation part was missing from your initial post, hence my notes.
Follow up, though... How do your estimators come up with pricing if they don't know the details?

Big Rice Field

The presentation part was missing from your initial post, hence my notes.
Follow up, though... How do your estimators come up with pricing if they don't know the details?
That is a mystery to me....estimating is not in my forte...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Clean presentation

-- I would have the location plan first, show the building location on the map

-- The order of the pages caused me some confusion

-- If you are going to have sign type, reinforce with a page numbering system that matches

-- The square footage was off on your wall sign

-- Show the side of your wall sign

-- Since there is most likely a sign program, I usually have a dotted line to show the client, owner and city how I calculated the square footage

-- Number your specifications, I was almost reading as if were one long spec.

-- I was told not to add periods to specification as it is a bullet point... I lost a bet on that one...

Attachments

• koo koo roo torance.pdf
    640.1 KB · Views: 323

Johnny Best

The order of the pages caused me some confusion
Thought the same thing on my reply (post#4) thinking they were all channel letters including free standing sign which is not as I found out after looking the second time. Maybe a thick black line or different background between ideas and signage to show separation.
But your work has nice execution and clean and have no problem with that.

Marlene

are you making the entire sign? if so, I wouldn't put those lines/squares/sections in the background so the logo stands out and isn't clutter up with the background

Gary Wiant

I agree with Marlene the tiles are distracting and not the same size on the horizontal sign area as they are on the uprights .