• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A few hand lettered signs from the vault

TimToad

I found an old envelope of photos and pardon the poor quality of some of the photos, but I wanted to share these.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Antiques.jpg
    Antiques.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Bertha Station News.jpg
    Bertha Station News.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Dillingers.jpg
    Dillingers.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 208
  • Red Electric Cafe.jpg
    Red Electric Cafe.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Sign Central.jpg
    Sign Central.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Vis A Vis.jpg
    Vis A Vis.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 205

TimToad

Thanks, the Bertha Station was a lot of fun and I have to say that the Antiques one was one of the best convex (prismatic) hand lettering jobs I've ever done.

TimToad

I like your style, thanks for sharing.

George

Thanks, I'll try and salvage a few more from the boxes of old photos I have. We are so spoiled in the digital photography age to not have to worry about film degradation anymore.

Very nice work. Not a huge fan of the marble look but the lettering is spot on. The antiques one looks the hardest to me. Even though initially it looks simple painting all the shaded areas to look like beveled letters and it coming out that good is hard work. Very nice.

TimToad

Very nice work. Not a huge fan of the marble look but the lettering is spot on. The antiques one looks the hardest to me. Even though initially it looks simple painting all the shaded areas to look like beveled letters and it coming out that good is hard work. Very nice.

As with any other fad, I had to get through my faux marble phase.

The hardest part for any hand done effect work is to get the perspective, lighting and shadowing correct to mimic how it would look in nature. All the beveling and shadowing on the Sign Central sign was done with paint, transparent glazes and an artist's eye.

As with any other fad, I had to get through my faux marble phase.

The hardest part for any hand done effect work is to get the perspective, lighting and shadowing correct to mimic how it would look in nature. All the beveling and shadowing on the Sign Central sign was done with paint, transparent glazes and an artist's eye.

It is some great work. Was the marble a print?

TimToad

No, that's all done with One Shot, some sponges, a spray bottle with some reducer in it and a feather for the veining. The beveled edge on the marble and shadowing behind any of the lettering is clear varnish with a little tint added to it and then brushed on.

TimToad

Nice work! :thumb: Is the 'Dillinger's' reverse gilt leaf on glass?

Yes, that's 18k with varnish centers because they wanted a more silver look. This was a speakeasy themed restaurant located just down the street from the Biograph Theater where Dillinger was shot and killed.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
As a youngster who has it easy with all the technology of today, I truly appreciate seeing this type of work because it's just in a league of it's own. These are beautiful.

Jillbeans

It is some great work. Was the marble a print?

:banghead: :Big Laugh
I went through the faux marble phase too.
Isn't it so much fun to be able to experiment, teach yourself new tricks?
Remember the days of getting a new Signcraft and not being able to contain yourself until you could incorporate some cool thing you saw there into your next job?
Lovely, lovely work.
Thanks for sharing.
Love....Jill