• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A New One For Me...HELP!

VolunteerSign

I have a client that is wanting us to install (if that's the right word for this job lol) 3000+ 6 X 9 vinyl decals to put on clear plastic dinner trays. The decals would be printed in full color. Here's the kicker (at least as far as my knowledge goes) the decal needs to make it through the dish washer at least a few times before it needs to be replaced. Suggestions? Please?

ChicagoGraphics

Not if your applying from the back side I don't see a problem. I would say what ever film you end up using I would cut the corners roundish.

allamericantrade

it also probably needs to be certified as safe for eating off of I would imagine...

If they are clear trays maybe a clear vinyl installed on the bottom instead of the face so your not actually eating off of nor cutting with knives. As far as DW safe, I havent a clue. all I can possibly think of is having a die cut laminent over the vinyl cut 1/2" bigger than the decal itself.

CanuckSigns

I would think that most vinyl decals would make it through the dishwasher at least a few times before they need to be replaced. if you really want to be safe, cut a piece of clear cast vinyl to 6.5" x 9.5" and apply it over top of the decal

VolunteerSign

I just got off the phone with the client and found out a VERY useful piece of information they omitted the first time. These decals are for the LIDS of the serving trays. Still clear plastic but the decal will not have to be printed on clear and will not have to be food safe, but will still need to make it through the dishwasher.

petepaz

i would think you could get a couple of washes with out damage. think of the abuse decals get when you do truck lettering. pressure washing, the sun and bad weather. i also have a customer who does paving and i letter his dump trucks on the dump bed with no issues and with black top in the truck and going to the plant it goes through some high temps (maybe not as high as a sanitizing wash in a dish washer )
send him a sample to test

thmooch

Make sure to clean/prep the surface area to ensure the best possible adhesion. I know its a given, but don't skip this step to save time.

VolunteerSign

Make sure to clean/prep the surface area to ensure the best possible adhesion. I know its a given, but don't skip this step to save time.

You are correct to stress this...the temptation to skip steps after seeing the first thousand of them would be pretty strong lol.

I appreciate everyone's help since printed vinyl is not in the top ten list of things we do...come to think of it, printing vinyl isn't even on any of our lists.