• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News A sad farewell to an old friend

WildWestDesigns

Got my old standby - PC Paint (DOS 5.0)
Looks like they updated the memo and Paint will still ship with Windows - just won't be updated.

wayne k
guam usa

The memo was always deprecated (at least when I first saw it yesterday). Which just means that it may still be there, just won't get any new updates. In this case, it'll be in the Windows store. However, deprecated is usually the precursor to totally killing off, but not always.

When I read the original memo, it was because Paint 3D is the new app (akin to Edge replacing IE). So don't worry, you'll still have Paint fun.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Have to admit... I've used it regularly. Yes, really. We send all our emails from one computer for continuity. Every so often I forget to put a note on the proof (we send ours as jpgs) or when I exported the proof there's bunches of white space around it. When that happens it is quicker and easier to crop or add the note in paint than to go back to the design computer and generate a new proof. It has its uses... they are just really limited :)

WildWestDesigns

Back in the 9x days, most digitizing programs only read bmp files as the source file to digitize from. Wasn't really until the Win 2k that that started to change.

Shoot, I still have one portable (self enclosed exe file) digitizing program that is a hold over from those days (it was last modified in '02). I have a little more nostalgia over it then some on here.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As a graphics professional, I have never used it.

Technically it's the first graphics software I used when it first came out and I was around 5 years old. Little did I know it would lead to being in the graphics profession 26 years later. Although I am a horrible artist, I did start out as a graphic designer before making the switch to the technical side.