• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question A serious question..........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had some computer work performed by my local computer guy and had him in to fix two problems, which he said he knew my program. After 1.25 hours, he finally said, he's sorry, but he couldn't figure out the problem or how to fix it, so I was exactly where I was before he came in. I just got a bill from him today for the full 1.25 hours. Is that normal or expected ?? Must I pay someone for something they were called on to work
on specifically, but couldn't fix it ??

:thankyou: Gino

rjssigns

It happens. Mechanics will work on your car two or three times to figure something out and you get charged every time.

Pay the bill and find someone smarter. I do. Realized a long time ago that there are lots of people willing to work harder for my money.;)

Jeremiah

My computer guy would have explained charges before he started . But would not have charged me. That's his policy.. let's say that someone brings in a piece of prepared plywood and wants vinyl letters applied to it. You quite a price, but the vinyl does not hold properly. You did the job but it does not hold. Let's say you used 20 ft of vinyl . Do you charge him ?

fresh

Yes. Just because he couldn't fix it doesn't mean he isn't due his fee. Its not his fault your computer was broken beyond repair, and also that he didn't know that before opening it up.

I paid $225 for a dealership to look over our work van and give us an estimate for repairs. If I had fixed it, that fee would have been waived.

So take it as a diagnostic fee. Because that is what it was.

StarSign

The computer guys next to us, charge a flat diagnostic fee, if they can fix the problem all you pay is the diagnostic charge.

fresh

let's say that someone brings in a piece of prepared plywood and wants vinyl letters applied to it. You quite a price, but the vinyl does not hold properly. You did the job but it does not hold. Let's say you used 20 ft of vinyl . Do you charge him ?
Yes, of course we do. We also let them know that there are no guarantees on customer supplied materials.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
That's a tough spot. It's understandable that he just couldn't figure it out. I think we've all been there. We thought we knew the problem, but it turned out it was something else, or something that we couldn't figure out. I would expect to still pay, but I would expect it to be a reduced rate.

I can actually give an example of this. Currently have a subcontract job here at the shop. We got called out to a location about 45 minutes away to replace lights in a parking lot. This is not normally something we handle, but we've worked with this company on other sign stuff, so we agreed to take the job. Got there, got the parts needed, replaced them, and it didn't work. Service tech spent half a day at the location and talking with the local electrical supply company. Turns out they actually purchased the original fixtures for the lights, and they were covered by warranty. Replacement parts ordered. Waited two weeks, went back, new parts still didn't work. Contacted manufacturer again, they're shipping out whole new fixtures.

We're paying nothing for parts because of warranty. And we're charging a reduced rate on the installation. It's not our or the client's fault that this is a crazy situation. We're charging for the time spent in travel and up in the bucket. Not for the leg work with the electric supply company and the manufacturer.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Had some computer work performed by my local computer guy and had him in to fix two problems, which he said he knew my program. After 1.25 hours, he finally said, he's sorry, but he couldn't figure out the problem or how to fix it, so I was exactly where I was before he came in. I just got a bill from him today for the full 1.25 hours. Is that normal or expected ?? Must I pay someone for something they were called on to work
on specifically, but couldn't fix it ??

:thankyou: Gino
Do you get paid to survey jobs? It's essentially the same thing. Although I don't agree that they billed the full amount (I wouldn't) but it's pretty normal.

Johnny Best

Tell him you both wasted 1.25 hours of time. I had to pay $95 for my laptop to get fixed but I knew that because that is the basic price just to look at it. My problem was fixed though, yours was not.
Maybe he makes a living just going to the place telling them he does not know how to fix the problem and leaves. Sends them a bill for 1.25 hours worked. Does about four of those a day!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If he said he knew your program and could fix it that puts it on him. I was in this business for a few years and realized to never speak about certainties. "Can you fix this?" .. "I think I can, it's $X per hour for me to try onsite or $X if you bring it to my shop. What would you like me to do?

wes70

Idk...maybe I’m a little old school but if I was to tell someone or imply that I can do the job and then end up that I cant for whatever reason... I wouldn’t charge them...but that’s just me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If he had billed me at 1/2 price, I'd be alright. I told him exactly what my 2 problems were and he said he could fix it.

I've used this guy on several occasions and he never did this before. He's always been fair. I'm gonna pay him, that's for sure, but like mentioned, I'm gonna look for someone else, and I'll let him know why.

edit: I fixed one of the problems myself and I'm no way a computer person, especially a fix it computer guy. I think it was dumb luck. The other problem, I've devised a workaround. It's clunky, but it works.​

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I wouldnt have charged anything. Id pay the bill and find someone else, no point in arguing.
We use a truck shop that doesnt charge when they cant fix something and they come to us. They make plenty of money being fair without needing to be a bunch of douches. I always send people to them because of this. Truth be told, they probably just pad their bills on other stuff but it smells better that way.

Billct2

He should change his fee structure and have a diagnostic charge that is deductible if the repair goes ahead.

signage

Gino if someone calls you because their sign is out and you take on the job and start checking for the issue and realize it is beyond your ability do you charge them?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would question him, and give him an opportunity to make it right. If he doesn't, pay it and find another guy.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We work in the field fixing printers and 95% of the time we can fix a machine on the first call. If it goes into a 2 or 3 day ordeal we usually cut a few hours off the bill. The thing is that there are a lot of problems that are easy to diagnose but a few issues that can have multiple solutions that are hard to pin point. Only one time in my career have I not been able to fix a printer. Spent days and lots of parts trying to figure it out. When we surrendered, no charge to the customer.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Lots of times good service can cost you right out of your own pocket. But if it was easy everyone would provide good service.

David Wright

Quite clear in Gino's case. He said he could fix the problem and didn't so there should be no charge. If he said my diagnostic time is this, and charged no matter what.

My issue was from years back with a heating guy. Customers of mine so I called them with a problem of furnace not lighting. He came and said this simple fix would probably work. Charged me $150 bucks, no parts just a little scraping on a contact (or something). Hour later back to the same problem. He comes out the next day and replaces whole part for like $225. I get a bill for that and asked what about the charge yesterday, shouldn't that be deducted? Called the owner, (his wife answers) and she gets angry.

Final result: paid for both trips and work and lost a sign customer. Should have just shut up.