• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Abaco Beach Wallpaper

Caren Hines

Anyone have any solutions on why and how I can fix this issue.
We print a lot of wallpaper (pase type) and the prints are dry and sit for awhile before we cut them apart to send out. My issues are once they get it on site and lay it, and once they start wiping the seams or just wiping it down, Ink comes off. We've tried everything to figure out why! Nothing has helped so, now we have to laminate them all. Anyone else have this problem, and any solutions? And yes I know it's best to laminate them anyway.
Thanks for any assistance.
Caren Hines
Color-Ad Signs and Exhibits

unclebun

You can't really laminate wallpaper; that would ruin the texture and sheen. Have you used this brand and type of wallpaper before without problems? Have you changed anything in your process? New printer, new ink?

LarryB

Sounds like the roll is contaminated which has happened to us before. I always UV print wallpaper on my flatbed with good results.

Caren Hines

You can't really laminate wallpaper; that would ruin the texture and sheen. Have you used this brand and type of wallpaper before without problems? Have you changed anything in your process? New printer, new ink?

Yes, we've used it for years and have been laminating it too.. It hasn't ruined the sheen, texture. And no nothing has changed.
Reps can't even figure it out.

unclebun

When you laminate it, doesn't it then have the sheen and texture of the laminate instead of the wallpaper vinyl?

I'd go with a defective roll of material as has been suggested above. Contaminated or something. (though probably not with SARS-CoV-2)

Caren Hines

When you laminate it, doesn't it then have the sheen and texture of the laminate instead of the wallpaper vinyl?

I'd go with a defective roll of material as has been suggested above. Contaminated or something. (though probably not with SARS-CoV-2)
The thing is, it has been different batches.
We'll do 15-20 rolls at a time. When it first happened we sent them all back thinking the same thing, but that wasn't it. Still happens. We have a (HPL570)
And we either use flat or gloss laminate depending on the jobs.
Doesn't take away from the look at all.
It's a pain in the butt thats for sure.
The again.

MikePro

the issue here, is that you're laminating a printed textile....but then trimming it, exposing the edge of the white material. the color isn't cast-through the material.
only way to "hide" that edge, is to do zero-overlap tiling. trimming your tile-line on the wall, one cut through both layers.

Caren Hines

the issue here, is that you're laminating a printed textile....but then trimming it, exposing the edge of the white material. the color isn't cast-through the material.
only way to "hide" that edge, is to do zero-overlap tiling. trimming your tile-line on the wall, one cut through both layers.

Thanks Mike, So we put the liquid laminate on it before we trim the print and that's what's causing the prints to "re-wet"? Trim then laminate? That makes sense but, we're also having that same issue with the ink on different parts of the print coming up and it's only water they're using and not pressing hard. Big problems because we do a lot of work overseas. We just did the 75th anniversary of Normandy, thats when it was noticed. We're at our wits end. We would change wallpaper but the clients and the project managers like the look and texture of the Abaco.

MikePro

wait, so it's not laminated then? sorry if i was mistaken, my rant was directed as the thought that the ink just coming-off at the tile trim-line.
the whole point of liquid laminate is to protect the ink from abrasion/UVfading. Much like the painted finish on a car, you would be scuffing the clearcoat before actual ink comes off your material.

my other though is, that you might not be using the correct wallpaper pasting tools for these applications. a wallpaper "squeegee" is typically just a soft plastic bristle brush used to smooth/flatten the wallpaper paste. any flexible/firm plastic squeegees would scrape/clip the ink right off the top of the texture.