• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help accurate cutting

Hello,

So we make laptop skins, we run a summa s120t and previously a graphtec ce-6000. I design the files in Adobe illustrator and either cut them with sign master 3 on the graphtec or Flexi with the summa. We have always had issues with wandering accuracy. Sometimes a skin will be spot on, and other times one corner might be a little too long. Is there a step I am missing that could effect the file or the way its being cut that they will vary slightly each time? maybe that we are using AI? Or the way we export them to Flexi? Its been a hard battle installing skins locally and having them not fit right at times.

Thanks in advance!! Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated.

Emd2kick

I can solve your problem, summa’s suck. I have an S2 T160 and it’s the worst purchase I ever made. We almost bought a summa f series at the same time, thank goodness we didn’t as then I’d likely have two POS’s

What kind of issues do you have with it? I haven't heard a whole lot of negative reviews, but out graphtec is terrible. Tracking is bad, and the registration mark sensing works maybe 1/10 times.

Jburns

I think it would help the Summa guys and others if you share the type of materials you are cutting - and laminates.

Sign.ed

What kind of issues do you have with it? I haven't heard a whole lot of negative reviews, but out graphtec is terrible. Tracking is bad, and the registration mark sensing works maybe 1/10 times.

Our graphic is great. I cut 2 54" x 50yd rolls on Friday.

Does your machine ever trip for X motor / media too heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut 3m and Arlon car wrap material with a cast laminate. The cutting is fine, its the fine details that get affected. I am going to run a few tests cutting certain size squares and stuff then measuring the real cut. See if it changes depending on file types, or what not.

rjssigns

I can solve your problem, summa’s suck. I have an S2 T160 and it’s the worst purchase I ever made. We almost bought a summa f series at the same time, thank goodness we didn’t as then I’d likely have two POS’s

Curious what kind of problems you're having.

Ok I am onto something here, I am performing the length calibration and it is slightly off on some materials that don't track as well. All it needs is a measurement test and adjustment. Well see if this helps my issue.

FrankW

Length calibration helps if the deviation depends reproducable from the used media.

One issue what could lead to problems is that some people deactivate Autoloading. Autoloading means that the plotter pull some of the vinyl from the roll when loading (and during cutting too if the unrolled media is not long enough). This will avoid that the plotter runs into the weight of the roll while cutting, what otherwise could lead to bad tracking or motor errors.

In addition, try to use the media flanges and middle pinch rollers.

Robert Gruner

Emd...You appear to be totally exacerbated with your Summa S2T160?
Under different circumstances many end users might consider that particular make and model the top of the line for roll vinyl cutters.

I would assume you have exercised all options with Summa and/or Whomever you purchased the cutter from? Would you care to tell what material you were attempting to cut and just exactly what the problem seems to be?

I would like to try and help you resolve your issues if possible.

Bob Gruner

AKwrapguy

Hello,

So we make laptop skins, we run a summa s120t and previously a graphtec ce-6000. I design the files in Adobe illustrator and either cut them with sign master 3 on the graphtec or Flexi with the summa. We have always had issues with wandering accuracy. Sometimes a skin will be spot on, and other times one corner might be a little too long. Is there a step I am missing that could effect the file or the way its being cut that they will vary slightly each time? maybe that we are using AI? Or the way we export them to Flexi? Its been a hard battle installing skins locally and having them not fit right at times.

Thanks in advance!! Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated.

There are a few things that you can try. With out seeing your set up here is what I would suggest doing.

Clean the grip rollers on the plotter. They can fill up with debris. A tooth brush with a little bit if IPA works wonders
Look at slowing down the cutting. Speed it not always your friend
Make sure that all the grip rollers are evenly placed through out the material. If one side has more pressure than the other it will throw your cut off
Make sure that all the grip rollers have the same pressure... while this might seem basic I was having trouble on my Graphtec, one of my co workers had accidentally changed the pressure on one of the out side rollers.
Try using more grip rollers, like 3-4 of you have the space.

Not sure what type of marks you can use with your set up, but try using manual or bombsite marks.

Also remember that the greater the distance it has to plot the greater chance for errors. Try doing it in 48" incriminates and see how that work out for you.

Thanks everyone for responding!! I seriously love this forum so much.

The fix, The issue I was having was in fact my feed calibration. I was trying different materials and some where thicker than others. I calibrated for one material and ran my cuts through, came out perfect. I even cut it once, loaded it on a slant just to test, and recut...it was perfect. You couldn't even tell it was re-cut a second time (besides it cutting too deep which is a given). So I will setup different user profiles for each material I have, each profile calibrated for each specific material being cut at the time. If anyone in the future comes across this page feel free to reach out to me. I will gladly provide my insight. I love this machine, it has a load of settings, and it was confusing at first. But after few sleepless nights, its working perfectly now. I could not be happier.

**Hats off to the guys at Summa for making an awesome machine.