• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acoustic Panels

Kaitlin Boisvert

Has anyone ever done any acoustic panels to help with echoing sound in rooms?
Please let me know what you suggest.
Hoping we can print on canvas or some material that we can put on top of foam to make the acoustic panels look like art in the room.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Egg cartons work wonders and also help greatly with insulating your walls and/or ceiling against heat and cold.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I am thinking that I've seen a fabric like that for accoustic panels - Possibly TVF? [HASHTAG]#bigfishdm[/HASHTAG] may have some insight to this. I know that several fabric manufacturers make printer speaker mesh, but that may be a dye-sub application only. What type of printer do you have?

JPR-5690

We actually print fabrics for a manufacturer who specializes in custom sound panels and went through a long process of testing different textiles out to see what worked best for their application.

Something like 98% of the sound absorption/reduction is done by the panel itself so you can probably wrap it with whatever fabric you want if you aren't getting technical with it. If you want to dm me I can pass on their info

AGinVT

We made (8) 30" x 96" acoustic panels a few month ago. We followed this video's instructions for materials and construction: https://youtu.be/GBHYiWIJhU
As for the printing, we printed on Ultraflex UltraPoplin Soft Image D240 on our HP Latex printer. It is a porous material, so we did have to use the ink catching attachment. All of the artwork was in sepia tone, but the client loved the image quality.

Also, if you are installing yourself, I would suggest using some french cleats rather than traditional hanging wire etc.

Image 9-27-19 at 9.44 AM.jpg
Image 9-27-19 at 9.45 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Kaitlin Boisvert

I am thinking that I've seen a fabric like that for accoustic panels - Possibly TVF? [HASHTAG]#bigfishdm[/HASHTAG] may have some insight to this. I know that several fabric manufacturers make printer speaker mesh, but that may be a dye-sub application only. What type of printer do you have?
We have a HP Latex 365

Kaitlin Boisvert

We made (8) 30" x 96" acoustic panels a few month ago. We followed this video's instructions for materials and construction: https://youtu.be/GBHYiWIJhU
As for the printing, we printed on Ultraflex UltraPoplin Soft Image D240 on our HP Latex printer. It is a porous material, so we did have to use the ink catching attachment. All of the artwork was in sepia tone, but the client loved the image quality.

Also, if you are installing yourself, I would suggest using some french cleats rather than traditional hanging wire etc.

View attachment 143024 View attachment 143025
Thank you so much!!!!

AGinVT

Thank you so much!!!!
You're very welcome. This was the first time we were ever asked to make panels like this, but the video lays out a very straight forward plan. It is a bit of a process, but the materials aren't very expensive and the results were well received. There are cheaper ways to do it, but if your client is willing to pay, they will love it.

Has anyone ever done any acoustic panels to help with echoing sound in rooms?
Please let me know what you suggest.
Hoping we can print on canvas or some material that we can put on top of foam to make the acoustic panels look like art in the room.

https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator

Search the Filter (blue filter icon) > Type > Durable Textiles. There are several acoustic fabric medias listed for Latex 300 and 500 Series Latex printers. If the media is porous and requires the ink collector, that will be noted in media details.