• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrylic Custom Sign

Angela

We have a request from a local merchant at our mall for a custom acrylic sign. The sign is going to be 18" x 24" 1" thick clear acrylic hung vertically from a ceiling. "See attached Michael Kors sign as the example the customer liked" We haven't decided yet, as to using cut vinyl or router acrylic for the lettering.. any advice on this? "The sign will be single sided" Also, if you look at the picture of the Kors sign, the customer wants a shiny frame around it, and then mount faux lightbulbs to the shiny frame. How would, or could you mount a frame to 1" acrylic. Also, the cable mount from the ceiling to the sign, what type of hardware would you recommend? We can drill into the top of the sign with an acrylic bit, but the hardware we are unsure of.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks so much

Attachments

• Sample Sign.jpg
    Sample Sign.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 97
  • The Studio Logo1.jpg
    The Studio Logo1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 88

petepaz

custom cut white acrylic for the MK and graphics mounted to the clear . on the edges hard to tell if it has some sort of a chrome finish or if it's just a polished edge.
for stuff like this we use EMCO plastics, cedar grove NJ. i am sure you can find someone closer to you but if not give them a try

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I agree - the MK sign looks like polished stainless or similar - not acrylic (except for the text).

1" acrylic is heavy. An 18" x 24" would weigh a bit over 17 pounds...so if you go that route, you'll want to make sure you're hardware is sufficient. Gyford has plenty to choose from for your hardware.

petepaz

hard to tell from the pick. it does look like clear acrylic because you can see through it but the edge either has a polished finish or has some sort of chrome vinyl or something like that applied to it.

petepaz

after looking closer you guys are right. its the reflection that i see not clear through. polished/chrome alum or possible stainless?

Pat Whatley

If it was clear acrylic wouldn't you be able to see where the mounting hardware was inserted?

A chromed metal sign makes installing the faux lights easy.

sign_making

dear Angela and friends, if you want to make clear & smooth sign on acrylic sheets,
you could try 2 flute spiral bit and 3 flutes milling cutter,
thank you! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

nikdoobs

If you have a CNC machine definitely route out their logo out. If not, etched vinyl would probably look okay.

Looks to me like those edges were flame polished. If I were you I would get the diameter of the bulbs and drill holes for the bulbs. Flame polish your edges and then insert and secure the bulbs with silicone.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Why would they want clear acrylic? if it's double faced you'll see the back of the art on the other side unless they are blocking it out .. then why bother. or it's single faced and will look like it's not there and really is just a waste of time especially if you see the back of it. Go down to a metal fabricator and ask them how much to make an 18x24 stainless box with mounting hardware that is polished to a mirror finish. if they want something with little to no transluscency why acrylic? do they want something that thick to be heavier than a brick and twice as deadly if it ever falls? I mean hell, you could probably do the same sign as a nice plywood box and a piano finish laminate if they don't want transluscency ... it would be half the cost, half the weight and you can probably make 2 in the same time it would take you to cut, route, flame polish and clean of incidental surface scratches that might have gotten through the protective sheet .. which would also give you a spare to sell them at .. half the cost? (extra income from scraps) in case someone does something stupid like power slaps it off the mounts. at the very least ... another example in your shop of what you can do.