• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

acrylic primmer

Josh Kuper

Is there a shaker can of primmer to use to paint acrylic letters, I got some cans of Hedrix paint and are painting white acrylic. It's taking several coats to get a good blue finish

Rocco G

I've used plain old Krylon spray paint for decades on acrylic. They now sell "krylon fusion" which is supposed to be great on plastic. Several coats is normal for plastic, or most anything that is spray painted. The first coat should be minimal and get slightly heavier as you go.

SignEST

Rustoleum spray cans have worked pretty well. They have these new 2x cans that really put down the paint which is sometimes detrimental for smaller lettering. We have never had issues with the paint coming off letters and we never primed/sanded them. Make sure you let them dry and don't spray paint when it's cold or if your substrate is cold or if your cans are cold.

SignEST

If these are interior fine. Rustoleum isnt going to last outside just my thoughts

I don't think the salespeople gave a lifetime warranty on painted outdoor acrylic letters. I hope at least. We usually did foam for larger letters on 2nd floor and up or anodized/powder coated aluminum for street level due to vandalism. Rustoleum works really well for back sprayed signs too, don't even have to be a decent painter to get an amazing looking sign.