• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Acrylic Signs / Printing

rlmercer

In the past, we have subcontracted our direct-to-substrate acrylic printing. This time, we are considering printing the graphics ourselves, applying to Ultraboard (or other substrate?), and then placing this against the second surface of the 1/4" acrylic panels. The acrylic/Ultraboard panels will be 4x8 and wall mounted with stand-offs in the four corners (would rather have 6 stand-offs per panel, but can't per customer). Okay ... here's the question ... even though the Ultraboard will naturally be tacked to the acrylic in the 4 corners with stand-offs, we are thinking the Ultraboard should be completely attached to the acrylic with some kind of invisible bond since the surfaces are large and there could eventually be some separation. We thought about D/S clear VHB tape, but still think it might be seen through the acrylic. These are at a high-end site and need to be immaculate. Any suggestions for mounting the Ultraboard to the acrylic panels? Is there a better method (other than the direct-to-substrate printing)? Thanks for your help!!

Bigdawg

Just Me
I don't really understand the Ultraboard step...

We make these types of signs with 3/16" or 1/4" clear acrylic - if they want second surface print, we reverse print on clear and laminate with white vinyl. Most the time we have cut vinyl or digital print/contour cut vinyl on the front. Is there a reason that wouldn't work for you instead of adding a step (or several) with the Ultraboard?

2B

we have done several high end lobbies with an inlay into the wall with back lit illumination.

we tried several methods and found that reverse printing to clear and then applying white vinyl to the imprint, then sticking the clear to the 2nd surface of the substrate works the best.
(view-able surface > acrylic > reverse imprint onto clear > white vinyl > wall)

henryz

Like Bigdawg said, don't understand the purpose of the ultraboard unless the client requires 3 layers? If you are worried that the sheets are going to separate in the middle just use 1 sheet of a thicker acrylic like 1/2" apply your graphics second surface even if you need an entire white background. There is a clear optical double laminate that you could try to laminate 2 sheets together we use it to do double sided window graphics.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most likely, because of the mention of standoffs, the customer wants the sign to really pop off the wall. Here also, we would print in reverse on the backside of clear acrylic with our flatbed and use whatever means to achieve the necessary relief off the wall. Printing directly to the substrate and not using any vinyl whatsoever, gives an amazing appearance.

Chasez

I don't really understand the Ultraboard step...

We make these types of signs with 3/16" or 1/4" clear acrylic - if they want second surface print, we reverse print on clear and laminate with white vinyl. Most the time we have cut vinyl or digital print/contour cut vinyl on the front. Is there a reason that wouldn't work for you instead of adding a step (or several) with the Ultraboard?

Agree with Bigdawg... why would you use the Ultraboard? Reverse print to clear or optically clear vinyl, laminate with opaque white, attached acrylic to wall with standoffs... simple simple and very clean looking.

Chaz