• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

acrylic stand off sign

Pideas

I'm very new to making signs like the attached image. The sign i'm creating would only have black lettering (no gold horizontal bar).

From what I know, this is a standoff sign on clear acrylic material. My question is: to create this sign, would it be better to reverse image print onto a clear adhesive and mount it to the backside of the acrylic? Or, would it be better to cut out letters on Oracal 631 and mount to the front or back of the acrylic?

Or is there a better way to create this sign?

standoff sign.jpg

henryz

You can do either way, you can print on clear laminate with satin and wouldn't need to buy non glare if applied on the face.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
A agree with the non-glare acrylic

I don’t agree with 631 as the vinyl to be used. Is that not promotional vinyl. I’d use a cast vinyl and even go matte

If printed, 1st surface.

Pideas

Thanks for all the suggestions.

What type of vinyl would you suggest? I was thinking of using 1/4" acrylic.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
3/16" should be fine, no need for the added expense of 1/4". And I use whatever intermediate I have in stock that has a colored adhesive side.

jwilde

I really don't understand why people use 1st surface unless the design calls for it. If you're using acrylic, sub-surface makes the product look so much higher end, whether printed or cut, so long as your vinyl is the same color on the adhesive side as the face.

Unless you're using a color or thick non-glare...

rossmosh

The thickness of the acrylic depends on the size of the sign. One way to get around using thicker acrylic is using more stand offs. Generally speaking, on a decent sized sign like that the thinnest you go is 1/4".

Definitely go with non-glare acrylic. It's worth the extra money for many reasons.

As for how to apply the letters, do what's best for you. If you like printing, go with printing. If you like cut vinyl, go with cut vinyl. If you can do second surface install without any debris or bubbles, do that. If you can't, go first surface.

"The right way" to do things is often the way you're most comfortable with.

Pideas

I want to print this type of standoff sign using the second surface. I want to use a clear vinyl material and print a reverse image. Can someone recommend a good stock to print this with?

--I also want to make sure it's bubble free as I will most likely install with a big squeegee.

IPSLSignsman

I'm very new to making signs like the attached image. The sign i'm creating would only have black lettering (no gold horizontal bar).

From what I know, this is a standoff sign on clear acrylic material. My question is: to create this sign, would it be better to reverse image print onto a clear adhesive and mount it to the backside of the acrylic? Or, would it be better to cut out letters on Oracal 631 and mount to the front or back of the acrylic?

Or is there a better way to create this sign?

View attachment 138659
Hello, I would reverse cut your vinyl graphics and apply them to the rear of the sign, another tip put a layer of bubble wrap on your bench to prevent scratching the acrylic for cleaning and applying decals.

visual800

I always place vinyl on front of sign. IMO these types of sign dont need vinyl BUT even routed 1/8" painted pvc would pop more

Pideas

The client changed the specs from one color to three color so I'm going to opt for a clear vinyl instead of cut vinyl.
I suggested the routed pvc but they didn't want it.