• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding Color to Engine Turn Gold Vinyl

NickB

I am not very familiar with this product. If I were to want a black border around the gold, do you just put gold vinyl on top of black vinyl, or print color directly on the gold vinyl?

I am not very familiar with this product. If I were to want a black border around the gold, do you just put gold vinyl on top of black vinyl, or print color directly on the gold vinyl?

It depends. Most engine turned gold should be encapsulated or edge sealed. If that's the case, you can either lay the gold first and then cut the black so that it extends slightly over the gold to seal it, or you can layer and laminate with a 1/8" laminate border around the gold. If you're printing, (thermal works best) just add a second cut line and extend the laminate past the edges by 1/8". As far as I know, the "Real Gold" brand of materials is the only one that doesn't require some type of edge sealing.