• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Address signage - How would you do it

Baz

I've got a request to supply x145 municipal address signs. Customer has given me this picture as a sample of what they are looking for. Finished size of these signs is 11"x6".

Should this type of sign be produced on a CNC and if so .. What kind of material has a thickness of 1/4" or more and has a silver face with solid black core (Dibond?)

Or .. What i was thinking. Laser cut black Styrene 1/8" thick. And then laser cut through exterior Gravoply 1/16" thick that has an adhesive backing applied before cutting through. Then sticking over top the Styrene.

I'm thinking the laser method might be faster than using a CNC.

What's your opinion.

Attachments

• Sample sign.JPG
    Sample sign.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 146

Baz

I would look into photopolymer as well

Is that good for dimensional signage? My numbers need to be raised. Obviously this could not be done in my shop relatively soon since i don't know anything about this method. Plus the process is about 50% more expensive. Is this method good for one offs? Meaning i need to produce x145 different signs.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I agree with J Hill,

Exterior grade photopolymer is a great idea (except as already stated, you can not do it in-house)

Photopolymer is dimensional, made for one-off/various messages, easy to finish and if this is exterior, very durable.
I don't know if it's 50% expensive, but if your shop is busy, CNCing that many signs can be a bit time consuming compared
to vending it out and being done with it.

Your solution seems like you could have issues if this is exterior, and may not look as clean.

I believe someone makes engravable silver material that you can apply to acrylic (backspray field color)

Baz

Thanks allot guys.

First time i hear of this method and am really impressed! Just watched a 7 minute video from Novapolymers. Now it's no good for me right.at.this.moment ... But it has just changed my thinking direction future wise.

Coming back to my "in-house" solution. Lasering through exterior Gravoply with adhesive backing and sticking overtop either Styrene or Acrylic looks really clean as well. I do this process for interior stairwell markers. Looks really good and is very sturdy.

Thank you so much for your suggestion guys.